Need Help with a Vintage Lew's Speed Spool BB1 Shimano made Bait cast Reel

Started by batfish, September 09, 2019, 08:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batfish

Hello, Everyone!  This is my first time on this forum.  I have already seen that there is a lot of great information that can be found here! 

When searching the forum, I was unable to find an answer to the questions that I have here.  My dilemma is, I recently acquired a Shimano made in Japan Lew's Speed Spool BB-1 bait casting reel.  I believe it is from the 1970's or 80's.  The main gear drag washer has dried out on it and I am trying to locate a replacement for it.  The reel schematics on Mike's Reels and the Reel Schematics sites for the Lew's reels that I have found do not show a schematic for the BB-1, but show others such as the BB-1N, BB-1L, BB-1M, etc.  Is there somewhere that I can get a schematic for the BB-1 or does anyone know what drag washer I can get to replace the one on the main gear (Manufacturer, model #)?  I would like to get this reel back into fishing condition if possible.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

wfjord

The Shimano "Lews BB1" was the predecessor of the early Shimano Bantams.  I haven't disassembled a BB1, but I'm guessing its main gear is probably close in size to that of the old Bantam 10, 100, and 1000.

I haven't found anyone that makes a cf washer that will perfectly fit any of the early Bantams. On the dozen or so '80s Bantams I have, I replaced the old main washers with carbontex or HT100s and had to trim the i.d. and o.d. on all of them to properly fit in the main gear. I'd wager the same will be true with the BB1.

Same with the undergear washer, except in some cases I kept the old original asbestos under-washer as it was thicker than the carbontex. As I recall, the thinner carbontex I used below the gear was not giving the AR dog enough clearance and caused the main gear to sit at an angle on the dog.
Don't know if this is helpful or not.

BTW.... Welcome!

wfjord

I probably should have just said your best bet is to call Dawn at Smooth Drag (760) 949-0271 and tell her what you have. It's helpful if you can measure the o.d. and i.d. of the old washers.

batfish

Hello Wfjord!  Thanks for responding with the information and the Welcome!  I will contact Smooth Drag to hear what they can do.  Thanks again and Good Fishing!!

oc1

She also has a table showing all the sizes available.  Measure the old washer and find one the same size or slightly larger O.D.  You can trim them down with heavy scissors or shears.  Enlarging the I.D. is much more difficult.  If it doesn't fit perfectly it will have less surface area to compress but is probably still OK. 
-steve

batfish

Thanks for the additional Information OC1!  Update-I found an original drag washer replacement on Ebay.  I took a chance that the drag washer for the BB1N was the same size and fit as for the BB1.  I ordered it and it fit exactly.  The part number for the BB1N drag washer is P306100 in case someone else would like to know what fits.  I pulled the number from the BB1N schematic which seemed to most closely resemble the BB1 reel when I disassembled it.  The drag washer is a fiber washer and not a carbontex washer since it was an original new old stock part.  Thanks for everyone's help!

bob welty

I know this is a little late, but here's a link to a schematic for the Shimano/Lew's BB1.  https://imgur.com/T8YF8ST