kayak fisherman hit by boat

Started by jon_elc, September 10, 2019, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon_elc

for safety awareness...  some good practices and some areas for improvement.  this seems like the right forum section for this.  Let's increase our awareness of safety practices!   

3 kayakers fishing together, you see different views of the actual event.

for the boat collisions, i added the approximate time to watch in each video:
about 6:50

about 9:00

about3:40

Ron Jones

As a contact manager, I am really interested in this. I do not; however, have the time or inclination to watch an hour of other people fishing. Can you tell me what actual periods in the videos I should be watching?
Thanks
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jon_elc

good point.  i added times in the first post above each video

Gfish

In that particular area, a yaker might wanna red flag way up high, then again, those "boaters" didn't seem to be paying attention anyway. Hobie parts are expensive. Hopefully it was only the shear-pin that broke. The guy yellin at 'em reminds me of myself.

Great video jon_elc, thanks.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

besides the boater not paying any attention and running over the guy, they then just take off like nothing happened, never checked up to see if he was okay or offered any form of assistance.  So we got both Stupid and criminal behavior. 

oc1

The guy driving the outboard was looking ahead, not behind.  So were the two passengers who did not seem to flinch.  At the end he may have adjusted coarse and turned toward instead of away from the kayak.  You have to wonder if there was some malice or intent.  Like road rage because of the crowded conditions..
-steve

Ron Jones

So,
An unpowered vessel isn't technically under the ColRegs, but as far as the laws of the sea, the powerboat was on the Port tack and was the give way vessel. The powerboat was also practicing poor seamanship by not maintaining a close lookout.

I am personally one who does not condone excessive liscencing; because of that I accept the fact that stupid stuff like this will happen.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jon_elc

i'm with you guys.  But being right means little to me if I am dead or maimed.  Not that I'm in physical shape to be out there kayaking, but if I did, what are better ways to be seen / heard, in a a similar situation? 

Neon colors? Flag? Whistle (like PWC operators?)  Airhorn?

Ron Jones

I like sound, airhorns are often loud enough to be heard over an outboard. The other thing that can work, in extreme cases like this, are pencil flares. Something about a rocket going up in front of you makes you think turning is a good idea!
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

That's freakin scary. Pure adrenaline!!!  Man, Adam was calm. I would have asked the guy for his license and made a report with the Coast Guard as all collision on the water is required for both captains to write a report of the incident.  I didn't see any registration numbers on the boat either.  I would still report it to the coast guard and local harbor master.

I'm glad Adam is safe. That was crazy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 11, 2019, 02:31:28 AM
I didn't see any registration numbers on the boat either.  I would still report it to the coast guard and local harbor master.

If you pause the video there is a frame that clearly shows registration number.

CF 3249 SM

Shouldn't be too difficult for LE to find.
-steve