How To Get Rid Of 940 Old Fishing Reels

Started by foakes, November 12, 2018, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: foakes on November 13, 2018, 04:05:41 PM
None of the reels are, or will be modified, Lee — only original.

Best,

Fred

:0) 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

nice project  Fred.

do you have plans to make the 940 lamps ?
The Baja Guy

foakes

Well, that is one hope and plan, Alex —

But I am not sure where this will go — however, I will have fun building these, and continue to be productive.

There have been a few important things that I have learned so far in my life —

Near the top of the list would be to have plans and goals.  

Along with that, be ready and willing to change our focus as conditions dictate, or other opportunities arise.

Many times, our seeming best plans will open other doors that we never dreamed of.

So, we shouldn't hang on too hard to the past or the future — just live each moment trying to be the best, the most helpful to others, and the most productive that we can be.

In other words — adapt, improvise, improve.  Be ready for other possibilities, listen to other wise folks — then just do our best each day.

The time we waste is a gift squandered.  

Speaking for myself, we need to see where good things lead, and quit holding on too firmly to perfect models of the future.  What we have is here and now.  

Just my opinions.

And if this works out, I have perhaps another 500 — 700 reels that can be added to the mix.  If it doesn't work out — nothing ventured, nothing gained, nothing lost...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on November 13, 2018, 07:11:03 PM
And if this works out, I have perhaps another 500 — 700 reels that can be added to the mix.

if by chance you get tired after 250 lamps built, you can add a new model with 2 reels per lamp, that will short your time for the next 400 reels ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

Frank

Quote from: gumpie44 on November 13, 2018, 10:51:43 AM
Great Project Fred !!  Great Way To Re-Purpose Those Old Reels.  Easy To Repeat And Very Useful. Did A Project Myself Using Broken Rods And Reels I Wanted To Keep. Used Thrift Store Lamps As Beginning. Best Of Luck With Your Project,
Barry

Nice!!!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

xjchad

Quote from: foakes on November 13, 2018, 07:11:03 PM
Well, that is one hope and plan, Alex —

But I am not sure where this will go — however, I will have fun building these, and continue to be productive.

There have been a few important things that I have learned so far in my life —

Near the top of the list would be to have plans and goals.  

Along with that, be ready and willing to change our focus as conditions dictate, or other opportunities arise.

Many times, our seeming best plans will open other doors that we never dreamed of.

So, we shouldn't hang on too hard to the past or the future — just live each moment trying to be the best, the most helpful to others, and the most productive that we can be.

In other words — adapt, improvise, improve.  Be ready for other possibilities, listen to other wise folks — then just do our best each day.

The time we waste is a gift squandered.  

Speaking for myself, we need to see where good things lead, and quit holding on too firmly to perfect models of the future.  What we have is here and now.  

Just my opinions.

And if this works out, I have perhaps another 500 — 700 reels that can be added to the mix.  If it doesn't work out — nothing ventured, nothing gained, nothing lost...

Best,

Fred

Great advice Fred! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I try to learn as much as I can from you guys in all areas of life, not just reels.  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

nelz

It'd be pretty neat if turning the reel handle acted as a dimmer or on/off switch. Just a thought!

Steve-O

Super Deluxe Idea!   They look reely, reely nice. Perfect Feng shui for any angler or reel aficionado.

And since I have seen some suggestions, ideas and so forth....I'd like my Reel-Lamps® ( just in case you'd like to purchase my trademarked and copyrighted brand) mounted in the galley and Captain's Quarters of a fully outfitted, live aboard aluminum hulled Fishing Vessel.  :o ;D :D ;)

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on November 13, 2018, 11:15:28 PM
Great advice Fred! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I try to learn as much as I can from you guys in all areas of life, not just reels.  :)

I agree Chad. Listening to Fred talk is a great way to learn...his thoughts always make sense. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Working on painting about 8 DQ's today -- after cleaning, inspecting, sanding, and prepping.

It takes a little while to paint each reel properly -- what with cleaning, sanding, painting, and baking.

So I had a little extra time in between reels -- decided it is time to start making reel lamps once again for selling during the Christmas Season.

Pulled out a few old reels -- and realized that on some of these, the original Patina and original line in some cases -- adds to the finished project.  So some will not need to be restored -- just a quick clean and lube to preserve the old, original, vintage appearance.

What do you guys think?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

I'd say the "original" look is a good thing.....for most folks, anyway.....if "old reels" fit their décor....the reel should "look old' !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

xjchad

Wow, you've got some very cool and interesting looking reels Fred!  I love the look "as is"!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

Yeah, I think most guy's wantin a man-cave lamp would like the "just as you find them" look. Bright shiny restored look for the ladies? I never seem to know what they might prefer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

If someone were to be surprised that the reel worked smoothly then you would have the right look.
-steve

thorhammer

Fred, every time this thread pops up what my brain thinks I see is, "how to get rid of old 940 fishing reels" and I think, "Fred has my address!!!"

John