Jigging rod suggestions?

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 04, 2019, 08:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I'm looking for a short (5'-6'6") medium or med/heavy jigging rod for lingcod. Something I can underhand cast 5-7oz jigs and vertical jig also. Not looking to spend for custom made, just something good off the shelf that isn't a Shimano Trevala.

I mention that because as much as they have that market covered, I've just had bad luck with them and Phoenix rods. Daiwa has two lines of jigging (saltest & saltiga) which are decent, Penn has two also, don't see much Okuma in the stores (*and I like to touch/feel b4 I buy ;)), but is there anything else I should look for that *might be in the tackle & sporting stores*?
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

thorhammer

Hey Tony, good to see you on the board, quit hiding! I have some trevallas for spinning but for casting reels I have some Penn Rampage which are OK, and an Okuma which has custom- level fit and finish with Alps seat and guides and really nice wraps, I will go check the model,  that is the one I actually take, with guess what- an Avet SX. You will be golden.

I also have two Ocean Master but they are now disco- a shame because I love the action.

boon

Okuma MTL-C-531L is excellent value for money.

I don't know who can supply them state-side but see if you can find a Jig Star dealer. Ninja or Katana in the L model would work nicely, fantastic rods and probably not hideously expensive.

Ron Jones

I've never had a problem finding the Okuma Cedros jigging rods. I like them a bunch.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 04, 2019, 10:24:53 PM
I've never had a problem finding the Okuma Cedros jigging rods. I like them a bunch.
The Man

I've wanted to look at their stuff but nobody stocks much Okuma locally and their closest dealer is over a 100 miles.

Bryan Young

Okuma is coming out with some slow pitch jigging rods  not sure whom will carry them but will let you know. I'm planning to get a couple.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Cedros is what I have, T. I have grouper fished it; should do fine on your jig weights.

witty1

the rockfish ninja

A lotta Okuma suggestions, I'd be willing to check them out if anybody can suggest anywhere in Ca to see them first hand, but I just don't buy sight unseen.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: thorhammer on September 04, 2019, 08:53:10 PM
I also have two Ocean Master but they are now disco- a shame because I love the action.

You mean the BassPro house brand stuff? I don't think it's disco, they have the racks full of them, looked at a few while I was there. I think they are nicer than the Penn Rampage too.

Checked out the Cedros .......  :-\, didn't gel with it, not balanced the way I like a jigging rod.

Since I started this thread I've been doing a bit of hands on research and looked at almost everything out there in "off the shelf" jigging rods. Was impressed with the St Croix Mojo jig for heavy stuff and the Shimano Trevala S for light. All seems like a Pandora's box though, due to jig weight/rod matching parameters, forcing us to buy multiple rods, etc.

Oh the flames of Gear Acquisition Syndrome have been fanned.