Roddymatic 910 - A.... Salt Water .....60's ... Japan

Started by cdaline, September 10, 2019, 11:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaline

I found this Roddymatic 910-A salt water open faced spinner reel and an
era appropriate Roddy Rod at  swap meet this past weekend . I gave $20 ...
mostly out of curiosity. This reel shows it's cosmetic scars but remains functional.
Built like a tank... reminds me of the Dam Quick and old Blue Penn spinning reels
I have owned. I have no experience with this manufacturer. I did find a
1963 ad with an exposed view of the reels internals. The previous owner
was a fan of intense grease packing. The only problem I'm having is with
setting the toggle on the anti reverse gear (3 gear selection).

"Fully enclosed UKF ball bearing, 3 gear selection, multiple disc drag, metal spool".

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/0FKzDP5

happyhooker

"Intense grease packing"; if a little is good, a lot must be way better--NOT.

Frank

bhale1

I look at it this way...previous owner was just protecting it{with peanut butter I guess ;D}, for you to come along ;D and re-build it!!!
Brett

Midway Tommy

By the last pic it looks like you've made some decent headway scraping out most of the old grease. It should work a lot better once you rid it of all that gunk, clean the parts & relube it. That Roddy worm gear line was fairly decently made compared to a lot of Japanese made reels of that time frame.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

There was a time when the theory was that if you completely fill the crank case with grease then water cannot get in and since water can't get in it won't corrode.
-steve

mo65

The main looks so tiny and the pinion so large...must be a relatively slow reel...a real winch! It would kill on the piers. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

cdaline

:D
HH...  an eye roller when I opened her up.

Brett...there is truth in what you say. The internals have been protected.

Tommy... the de-lube is more than one cuppa work. I'll keep on it. I was surprised
when I popped the cover.... I grew up in the era that most associated Japan stuff
with crap. This reel build quality indicates solid components used in the build. Can't
help but notice...no plastic.

Steve.... Dad fished the Sea of Cortez .... in the off season he packed all reel mechanisms
to the gills !! A different era.

Mo.... great observation. This reel qualifies as a cardio work-out to crank. Anybody know what
a "UKF" ball bearing indicates ?

Charles

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

cdaline

Thanks Tommy.... German ball bearings , in a Japanese made reel, sold in the U.S.A. .  8)
I remember now (studying)... in WWII... bombing raids on ball bearing factories
were high priority targets. Good stuff.

Charles

mo65

I just noticed while looking at your pics there's a tiny clip ring or something laying on the oscillation gears. I'm betting that is not still in there...but I had to ask. It's a solid, strong looking build. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

cdaline

Mo....

Great eye. Yes, it is still there. My limited skill set does not understand its' purpose.
I can only speculate that it has something to do with the click drag.... I was hoping
someone here would explain how it works and how to approach disassembly . Any
and all guidance is appreciated.

Charles

edit...please note..the ring appears on the original 63' ad...but,  attached to the larger gear.