Shimano Stradic ST-5000FH - Newbie Needs Help w/ Repair.

Started by tperk100, November 04, 2011, 08:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tperk100

I am new to reel repair so please pardon my lack of "correct technical vocabulary." As I write this I am looking at the schematic.

This reel was all of the sudden badly binding up on retrieve. I determined it was binding without the spool attached. I removed the rotor to find a plastic / vinyl / rubber ??? component so shredded to pieces that it was not identifiable, but this was definitely the cause of the binding. I removed all the little pieces and put the reel back together. It SEEMS to operate well now......but I KNOW I am missing a component.

Unless I am just missing it, I cannot determine from the schematic what this component is /was or where it would go. I wonder if it is really necessary to replace it....although I have not fished with it yet, the reel seems to operate well.

Any competent advice on this will be appreciated.
Tom P in Virginia Beach, Va, USA
Fisherman, Hunter, Pseudo Golfer, Retired!

george.s

it would have to be the friction ring. # 8147. it's just like a rubber o ring.

tperk100

George,

What is the ring's purpose? Do I even need it?

Thanks for your help.

george.s

it will work without it but the rotor may wobble a bit.

Pro Reel

The friction ring is suposed to put enough friction on the spool to hold it still during the cast. I have had a few where the ring shrunk a bit, or was removed. What happens with those is the spool will spin on the cast and catch the ramp causing the bail to snap shut and jerk your bait to a dead stop in mid air, unless the line snaps and the bait sails into the lake. I suggest that you call shimano and order the new ring. They are cheap, and easy to replace.

tperk100

shawnhu

If you decide to not replace the friction ring, you should also remove the small part that is responsible for closing the bail when the handle is turned.  That way, the bail will not close on you on a hard cast until you manually close it by hand.

If you call  Shimano and your reel is within warranty, I'm sure they will send you a new ring free of charge.

Davpra

philaroman

Quote from: shawnhu on November 04, 2011, 04:20:55 PM
If you decide to not replace the friction ring, you should also remove the small part that is responsible for closing the bail when the handle is turned.  That way, the bail will not close on you on a hard cast until you manually close it by hand.

If you call  Shimano and your reel is within warranty, I'm sure they will send you a new ring free of charge.

X2 !!!

1. remove the friction ring -- it can shrink/swell/deform/break & cause binding
2. remove the bail trip lever (RD 7923) -- it's Shimano's worst design (cost-cutting) that they abandoned in later models & went back to the old, dependable design
3. learn to close the bail manually -- your reel will last longer & you'll get better line-lay (a MUST for braid)