Need tuna reel advice

Started by REEL STEEL, September 12, 2019, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 15, 2019, 12:50:36 AM
I agree with some of the above.

First is a two speed needed? There is more parts in a two speed that can fail. First and fore most is the push button that shifts gears. Salt eats these up so you must keep up on the maintenance here. Then gear alignment and such. If you want a two speed for albacore then go for it. For me I really don't see the need.

A Penn Fathom 30 single speed or two speed is IMO not a trolling reel. These were never designed for trolling. Live bait and other applications yes, trolling not so much in a saltwater environment.

If you want more of a trolling reel for a smaller application in the Penn lineup I'd look at the Fathom 40's.

There is more need of a robustness in a trolling reel used in the saltwater than some know that don't fish it.

Lastly I hate to say this but if your buying gear that is not proven in your area or in the style of fishing you do, you will pay more over the long run than dialing it in right from the start. Sometimes a few bucks more up front will lead to a bigger pay day in the end.

Good luck buddy.

x2,,,,,,but I know I'm crazy at the lake trolling with a 9/0,50vsx,,,,,, ;) but when the charter guides there follow my dad around the lake and I can here the people say why do they have such big gear and we got this small stuff,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Jeffro

Just returned yesterday from my first albie trip... been on the to-do list awhile.   Captain used Accurate Fury 600's which worked very well.  Clickers let us know when we got hit, light weight, smooth and reasonably priced.  I think a 500 as Maxed Out noted would also do great as I had plenty of capacity.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: alantani on September 12, 2019, 06:03:05 PM
i use tld 20 two speeds with my large handles, braid and 25 yard topshots of 60 or 80 pound mono.  you only need 15 pounds of drag, so they will work great. 

Novice fishermen and braid? Yikes

Hope there is never a triple or quad hookup depending on how many trollers you have out with a shorter topper and braid.  :)

Jeffro

Quote from: Jeffro on September 15, 2019, 03:36:43 AM
Just returned yesterday from my first albie trip... been on the to-do list awhile.   Captain used Accurate Fury 600's which worked very well.  Clickers let us know when we got hit, light weight, smooth and reasonably priced.  I think a 500 as Maxed Out noted would also do great as I had plenty of capacity.
Clarification:  The Fury 600's were used on the trolling rods while the live bait rods had 400's. 

alantani

trolling spread was actually set up for novices.  i use old school calstar west coast rods rated 30-80, in 5.5 and 6.5 foot lengths.  the reels are the tld 20 two speeds with 80 pound braid and a topshot of 50 or 60 pound mono, drags set to 12 pounds.  the advantage is that a 12 pound drag setting will hold fish, only allowing them pull a little line, while the boat drags them in a straight line.  at even at idle, the lines will not cross because the fish are being dragged straight by the boat.  once all the trolling rods are cleared except the last one, the guys can start throwing live bait, dead bait, swim baits or megabaits on 20 pound test. 

this system worked for my father and his buddies very well.  so, yes, it was designed for novices!!!!!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=97.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!