shakespeare 2052 roller line guide

Started by DougK, September 13, 2019, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougK

hi, longtime lurker, first post.. thank you all for the generous expertise displayed on these forums..

just got a maroon Shakespeare 2052 in generally good condition, except the roller guide has two parallel little grooves all around the middle. I'd rather not fish it this way so trying to come up with a plan. ebay has a number of Shakespeare roller guides but so far they all seem to be for the 21nn or 22nn series of reels. Does anyone happen to know if one of these might fit, or if there is another roller guide that might fit ?

(for example I found that an Abu 5000 levelwind pawl Part 5176 will fit perfectly in a Lews BB-1NG, for which no parts are available)..

Also thinking of trying to polish out the grooves, but not sure if that will work..

xjchad

First off, Welcome!!

I don't have a part to help you with, but someone here might.
You might also look on ebay, etc. for a 'parts' reel.
Good luck, they are great reels!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Welcome aboard! Generally the line rollers are hard as hell...discouraging grooves...but some light duty reels just have a brass or chromed line roller. I'm sure you can find a nice quality one to fit, but it would take a lot of trial and error, and almost nobody has a large stock of line rollers laying around. Chad's idea of grabbing a parts reel is probably the best option. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Hi Doug, good to see a new Shakespeare 2052 fan.

All l can add to the conversation is that the roller from a Japanese 2200 won't fit a 2052.  Neither will the bail springs. 

l checked ebay and the 2052 is scarce right now.  If you're patient, you may find a parts reel eventually.  I lucked out and found three Shakespeare 2052 earlier this year for 20 bucks plus shipping.  Got all three working except l'm missing a bail wire on this one.  Apparently a previous owner was fishing it as a PUM, and it seems to work ok as such. 

foakes

In my shops are maybe hundreds of line rollers.

But we are in SoCal until Sunday.

Of no one else finds one -- I can match up a roller with a 2052 reel in stock -- and send it to you at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DougK

Quote from: foakes on September 13, 2019, 08:11:39 PM

Of no one else finds one -- I can match up a roller with a 2052 reel in stock -- and send it to you at N/C.

Best,

Fred

that is very kind of you Fred..  I'll check back next week once you are back at the shop..
thanks, Doug

happyhooker

Fred's offer sounds like the way to go.

I have used a Dremel polishing stone on slightly marred reel line guides in the past.  Works, but takes forever.  I suppose some extra hard metal guides/rollers would be difficult to polish out.

Frank

oc1

I wonder why it made two parallel grooves all the way around?

-steve

DougK

Quote from: oc1 on September 14, 2019, 04:58:15 AM
I wonder why it made two parallel grooves all the way around?

-steve

yes it seems odd - my guess is the roller was flipped over end-to-end when the first groove appeared, as it's not quite centered. Then the second groove formed..