sometimes a simple dish is good enough

Started by steelfish, September 14, 2019, 10:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well sometimes I just dont feel like spending 3hrs to prepare a dish that will be gone in 15 minutes, those times I really enjoy to take a whole fish, and just deep fry it until crispy, no side dishes or anything, just a simple fry fish and eat everything but the bones.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Nothing wrong with that, looks really good.
If you leave it in another couple of minutes you could eat the whole fish🙂
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: steelfish on September 14, 2019, 10:26:40 PM
well sometimes I just dont feel like spending 3hrs to prepare a dish that will be gone in 15 minutes, those times I really enjoy to take a whole fish, and just deep fry it until crispy, no side dishes or anything, just a simple fry fish and eat everything but the bones.

What's wrong with the bones ;D

the rockfish ninja

Pompano are perfect for that type of preparation, but.... uh......

........ where's the hot sauce? ;D
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

steelfish

the flavor of the pompano white meat is so sweet/tender that I like to eat it just with a bit of lemon and a tab of a mixture of mayo/mustard, sometimes I add some drops of hot sauce and eel sauce to make my own "secret fish dripping sauce".

this time it was made as simple dish as I could, with more time and when "in a cooking mood" I also prepare some white rice and steamed veggies as side dish of the pompano.
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

looks great !! Another fish I have yet to catch and cook !

Cheers:

todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 14, 2019, 11:37:42 PM
What's wrong with the bones ;D

those are for the cat   ;D

naah, my cats only want fish meat with no bones and no bloodline.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Most Italians eat Smelt under 6" whole. Head, guts...everything.
If a bone does get  lodged in your throat, a handful of the inside of the bread will usually pull it right out and followed with a glass of wine to disinfect ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 18, 2019, 09:54:33 PM
Most Italians eat Smelt under 6" whole. Head, guts...everything.
If a bone does get  lodged in your throat, a handful of the inside of the bread will usually pull it right out and followed with a glass of wine to disinfect ;)

smelt = Charales (in mexico) thats pretty normal in some parts of south Mexico, they prepare the fish as snacks with some adult beverages, fried, covered with chili, fried with cornstach, etc. they sell it on town fairs, fish markets, etc

I know some local guys that eat bigger fish when is deep fried as you said, usual fish is the saltwater barred perch and other flat fish like pompano.
not me.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

The pics look a lot like the way we make it, nice to see the same traditions in different parts of the world.
Thanks for posting compadre.

Sal

Ron Jones

I loved smelt frys as a kid, I'd always cut off the head and pull the guts with the head and do a quick scaling job. Takes about 20 seconds per fish. skillet fried with flour/corn meal on the beach is just unbeatable.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

I love deep fried smelt.  Alex I never saw those in Baja.  How common are they?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on September 20, 2019, 04:11:04 AM
I love deep fried smelt.  Alex I never saw those in Baja.  How common are they?  Dominick

Dom, thats more common on the center and south of Mexico states like Jalisco (Pto Vallarta), Mexico city, veracruz, colima, oaxaca, etc, etc, the north states had lost many old traditions like Baja, Sonora, chihuahua, etc.

when someone living on the north of Mexico travels to south Mexico is like traveling to another country because of the differences of food, accent, etc.
on your next cabo trip ask on the hotel where you can find "charales secos" or "charales fritos"  they should know.

Im not fan of them, I bought a recipient with 1kg (2 pounds) of fried smelts on my last trip to Guadalajara 3 years ago and the cats got them all as "snacks"
The Baja Guy

ChileRelleno

Looks great from where I'm at.

Those fried Smelt, the ones covered in chile, I want some!  :o

We used to go to the Grunion runs, lots of fun.
Anyways, we'd gut/scale, then fry them hard and eat whole.
Delicious!
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."