Blaming Sal and Fred

Started by Bill B, September 15, 2019, 07:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Going through the local digital classifieds, spotted this 270C. Line Counter.  All works as it should.  For $18 I couldn't pass it up.  Messaged the guy met up and couldn't get home fast enough for fear he would change his mind.  Really getting to like these reels.  I have Sal and Fred to thank for introducing us to this brand. Now have two 270's in the arsenal....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Couple of nice DQ Supers, Bill --

These old Supers may still hold the record for some of the toughest, most durable, and capable Salt Water HD Spinners ever produced.

Good finds!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

I love these reels. I have three 5001's I use one of them. While the 270's lack the refinement the Quick 5001, & are a heavy beast.  Despite these & some other negatives 270 has become a favorite when using 40 - 50 line. Very little to break on the 270.  
No spinning reel is made today for the price will perform the same while lasting as long. The reel stem & foot is easily replaceable if damaged.
Allowing one to adjust the angle of lay when reel is mounted on rod giving a bit more casting distance.  

Bill B

One question, after stripping off the line, found what looks like rubber tape around the arbor...is this stock or added by the owner....Bill

foakes

Added by the owner, Bill --

Just strip it off -- toss it away -- and when re-spooling, use a little Dacron as a starter base -- or just spool with mono or whatever you prefer.

These spools are manufactured from aluminum -- so they are fairly bulletproof.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)  Good find ,just needs a little love .    the bail spring screw does not look stock and a cap for the other side of the bail will make it rite.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

You did really good Bill.
That model or any dam quick reel for that matter are very easy to work on, so if you are going to fish it, I recommend breaking it down once a year.
The only issue I have run in with these reels is related to the handle shaft.
Servicing at least once a year will keep it happy for a long time to come.
These are tough reels... enjoy using them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Thanks guys, pulled off what I thought was rubber tape only to find it was electrical tape backed by mono underneath....love working on the DAM's.   Bill

Midway Tommy

You did good, Bill. That was a heck of a price for a line counter!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Stars definitely aligned for you.  That tape/mono mess--just a less than efficient way to make a reel arbor.

Frank