New Fathom "Gen2" star drags

Started by Tunanorth, September 15, 2019, 09:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

All,
Just got back from a 3-day trip onboard Searcher out of San Diego.
First time out with the new series "officially" released to the public.
Could not keep them out of the hands of the boat's crew, who were using them to "hook and hand" to the passengers in what was a very difficult "finesse bite" on yellowfin and bluefin tuna.
Any members here use one yet?

SoCalAngler

So the main difference is the gearing right? And, the gears aren't interchangeable from the older style and new?

I don't think just that alone will make more people interested in the Fathom stars. I could be wrong but is Penn looking for the stars to fish one line class higher than the originals? If so wouldn't the LD two speeds cover that even better?

I have a original 25N and switched to the aftermarket lower gears, then swapped them back. For me the 6:1 was better and offered more versatility for my application.

A whole new reel just to swap gear speed and gain a line class? Well if you think that works cool. I'm no marketing expert and I'm sure Penn did it's homework on a whole SKU line for about the same reel.

jzman

From what I saw on youtube, whats new in the fathom 2 star is choice of two different gear ratios and easy access (only needs 3-4? screws) to grease the gears.  Also, there's specialty fathom 15s for surf fishing with a dial magnet.  If I didn't already have a squall 25n, fathom 25n, and us113n I would buy one  :P.  I haven't seen any online retailer offering them yet (just pre-orders).

SoCalAngler

A couple of yoyo jig YT taken about 20 minutes apart on the original 6:1 Fathom 25N star with 30 lb test. See how I'm bent in the pic? I have never thrown my back out before but I did just before this trip. Still landed these on my worst back pain ever.

SoCalAngler

See the V shape on the left YT right below the gill plate? I has to pry that one from a 300 lb knot head with the Fathom 25N and 30 lb test. Yep they do work trust me.

Most likely, never weighted, but the left one went over 35 lbs and the right which was bigger went around 38 lbs. I have caught 100's if not 1,000's of YT and I'll bet they are every LB I say. Trust me  :-\

Cor

Quote from: jzman on September 16, 2019, 05:16:12 AM
From what I saw on youtube, whats new in the fathom 2 star is choice of two different gear ratios and easy access (only needs 3-4? screws) to grease the gears.  Also, there's specialty fathom 15s for surf fishing with a dial magnet.  If I didn't already have a squall 25n, fathom 25n, and us113n I would buy one  :P.  I haven't seen any online retailer offering them yet (just pre-orders).
The factory mag is the only bit that appeals to me.

For whatever reason these reels never became popular here, despite appearing extremely well made and having the specs I consider ideal for YT.

My guess is they don't stand up to the demands of our rugged style of fishing and don't cast as well as you would expect from the appearance and design.
Cornelis

Tunanorth

They are arriving on retailer and E-tailer shelves this week.
The biggest difference may not be apparent.
With the "Gen1's", if using a heavy jig or sinker over about 6 ounces, you had to "cock" the spool backward about 1/4 inch to relieve stress on the gear train, before you popped the freespool lever.
A very minor motion that became automatic very quickly, but some folks did not bother, and forced the lever, which eventually resulted in damage to the eccentric pin.
That issue has been resolved.
Other differences in the Gen2's:
Choice of gear ratios in size 25N, 30, and 40- speed or power
Additional BB
5 more pounds of drag
Mag-Dial cast control on 12 and 15 size
Easy take-off sideplate allows easy minor service and cleaning without loose parts.
Special additional casting version in size 15 only.

sabaman1

I really enjoy flylining on my fathom 15, its a great reel for bluefin and yellowfin on a picky bite. Sounds like time to get me the new lowered geared version! What an awesome year were having here off San Diego, yellowfin and bluefin together on the same trip.
JIM

SoCalAngler

Wow so my reply disappeared? Attention Admin! You have asked when I thought my response to certain threads drop off. Well it just happened again. This happens to me a lot without explanation. I guess even a positive response from me is not warranted here.

I don't think it was my fault as I made the post and then made corrections to it after it was done. WTF? After the corrections were made it took me back to the thread so I could the corrections.

I guess it is a edit thing!

I understand fully my input in not welcome here.

MarkT

I wouldn't assume that buggy software means you are unloved, but hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 22, 2019, 12:44:56 AM
Wow so my reply disappeared? Attention Admin! You have asked when I thought my response to certain threads drop off. Well it just happened again. This happens to me a lot without explanation. I guess even a positive response from me is not warranted here.

I don't think it was my fault as I made the post and then made corrections to it after it was done. WTF? After the corrections were made it took me back to the thread so I could the corrections.

I checked the logs and no one deleted or revised any of your posts.   I don't know what's going on.  I will ask our resident IT person to look into it.

BTW, if your input was not welcomed, we would change your access rights to read only. This is not the case.  Maybe it's your IP address. Is it static or dynamic?  If dynamic, then maybe when it changes it falls in the spam IP address category and the posting goes poof. If static, then I guess it throws out that guess. I'm not an IT guy so what do I know. Again, I will ask our resident IT guy to look into it.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 22, 2019, 12:44:56 AM

I don't get it.  It is not something from the admin or mods.  It has got to be something on your end.  I looked into it also but nothing shows as being wrong.  We love you so keep posting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

i can confirm that there have been no modifications of any of your posts in any way.  dunno what happened.  in general, what i usually do is write something up, then move on to the next topic and forget to hit "save."
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!