Just got a 716z. Super clean

Started by Fishgolfman, September 16, 2019, 02:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

The drag washer is Teflon. Can I substitute with a carbontex.

mo65

Quote from: Fishgolfman on September 16, 2019, 02:21:34 PM
The drag washer is Teflon. Can I substitute with a carbontex.

Sure...but on an ultralight reel the Teflon may be a better choice. It's buttery smooth but compresses under heavy load. Under 4 to 5 lbs. of drag it's hard to beat. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishgolfman

I intend to fish braid 10-15lb. I want to push the reel and rod setup! Thanks

mo65

Quote from: Fishgolfman on September 16, 2019, 04:53:54 PM
I intend to fish braid 10-15lb. I want to push the reel and rod setup! Thanks

Oh...I see...pushing the reel...definitely go to carbontex. Don't forget to also change the teflon thrust washer under the spool to carbontex for the full effect. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Yogi_fish808

I would suggest going with something like Berkley nanofil or fireline over a multistrand braid as regular braid could cut into the line roller (because no ball bearings) if you're going to use this reel with fish that make hard runs. I have a 420ss thats the same spool size and am running 10lb nanofil for ultralight saltwater. It's handled jacks up to 3lbs (lost many that were probably over that), the greased carbontex washer makes the drag very smooth.

Donnyboat

yes should be good, but not to much drag, or something has to give ay, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Yogi_fish808

If you can get a delrin under-spool thrust washer made it could help smoothness. The stock teflon one seemed perfectly fine though while fighting small jacks and baracuda for me though.