Look at the EYES on this thing !!

Started by Crow, September 16, 2019, 08:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Amazing looking fish. I would have released it after taking a pic😏

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

I think he said it died on the way up from over 2000 ft. deep.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on September 16, 2019, 10:30:25 PM
I think he said it died on the way up from over 2000 ft. deep.
You are correct Rudy, I didn't scroll down enough.
I wonder what reel he was using to get that deep.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

2600 feet (866 yds.) sure is some deep fishing and 30 minutes of winding. I would guess that if he fishes that deep regularly he must have an electric reel with a lot of braid & lead to cut the drift of the bait.

mikeysm

That doesn't look like the rat fish I have caught. When I was in my twenties  I caught a few in the Puget sound. They were more gold in color and two sharp rat teeth. They use the liver oil for fishing reel lubes.

Mike

Gfish

Wow! I've also seen ratfish, but not with eyes that big. That's the only time I've ever heard of someone eating one. Hmmmm.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Robert Janssen

In a lame claim to fame, this happens to be the cousin of a friend of mine. He is a guide at a fishing camp in Andöya, Norway. He also holds a local second-place record claim with a halibut of 215 cm in length, which is just a tick over seven feet. (such fish are no longer weighed, since it is essentially impossible to weigh them at sea while C&Ring)

This alien-fish is of the species Macrourus berglax.

Generally the reels used at the Nowegian camps are smaller inshore lever and star drag reels like Fathoms, Avet MXLs, Talicas, Saltigas and similar. Maybe they have some larger ones lying around for special needs.

Swedish and Norwegian posts mention that it took him half an hour to reel in, so I doubt it was electric.

They also mention more specifically not so much that the fish was DOA, but that it is not possible to release fish brought up from such a great depth, since they won't survive anyway. And that it tasted like wolffish, not cod, but a lot of things get lost in translation between languages and in the translation from fishermen to mainstream media.

Spectacular catch!

Alto Mare

Yes I agree Doc, spectacular catch.
Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing venting wouldn't have worked on that particular fish?

Sal

Gfish

I don't think these critters have a gas bladder. Alota fish that dwell down that deep don't.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

I would have thought that some University could have used it for a "collection"....they have to be fairly rarely caught. I always say, "I'll eat anything", but, I'm not sure I'd want to "chow down" on that !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Gives "Are you looking at me" a new meaning.

I thought deep jigging for perch at 70ft was Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

He should have donated the carcass for research.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

I've seen plenty of rat fish, and likely not a stranger to Norwegian fish biologists...but never seen a blue halibut and would rather he posted a pic with the halibut, which is a rare fish
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!