Dumb question...

Started by xjchad, September 17, 2019, 05:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Why are there no 5/0, 7/0, 8/0, etc???

Just thought I'd ask  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

broadway

Not sure, but maybe cause they would be too close in size and gear ratio. 
Good question,
Dom

RowdyW

There are no dumb questions, only questions.  ;)    Rudy

oc1

1/0, 2/0, and the other */aught sizes were established before Penn came along.  A 2/0 made by several reel companies were about the same size.  JVH, EVH, Cox, Ocean City and others had them.

I venture to guess that there was a math relationship between spool capacity and the */aught size.  Some geek should take the time to figure out what that relationship is because you never see it mentioned.

-steve

nelz

Benni3

No 13/0 just because it's bad luck and you don't need that when fishing,,,,,,,, ;)

Donnyboat

Know 13/0 but i still have plenty of bad luck when I`m fishing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Ahhh,
         But wait !!.
  The guru Mike always sais, expect the unexpected as far as Penn goes.

What is really out there ?????    ;D

I have plenty of 13/0 reels Don,  Well, that's what I rate them as, especially after all the Donut days fishing.

;D

Col

broadway

Yep, Everols have some different ought sizes. I would say Daron and Robert would know the models on these best.  Ones I've seen are 5/0's and 7/0's. Think the 5/0 was a Van Hofe of some kind and the 7/0 I believe was a Rosetti Gladiator.
I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with hook size??
Best,
Dom

Gfish

Quote from: RowdyW on September 17, 2019, 10:02:29 PM
There are no dumb questions, only questions.  ;)    Rudy

I think there is one kinda dumb question: the one someone DOSEN'T ask.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on September 17, 2019, 11:23:21 PM
1/0, 2/0, and the other */aught sizes were established before Penn came along.  A 2/0 made by several reel companies were about the same size.  JVH, EVH, Cox, Ocean City and others had them.

I venture to guess that there was a math relationship between spool capacity and the */aught size.  Some geek should take the time to figure out what that relationship is because you never see it mentioned.

-steve

Hmmmm...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!