Greek homestyle stuffed fish

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 17, 2019, 08:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

This is a recipe I learned from Papou (grandpa), it's really good when you're tired of the same old fry/grill/sauté/bake routine. It's pretty simple, the toughest part is prepping the fish, you gotta scale it, clip the spines, gut and clean really well, but the effort is worth it.

-Whole fish (my preference Pacific rockfish)
-onions
-bell pepper
-carrots
-olive oil, salt, pepper, (optional) oregano
-lemon

After you've prepped the fish, sliced onions and veggies, oil it down, add spices, stuff the fish, place in a baking pan covered with foil, preheat the oven (I like to cook it high), bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, baste a couple times with the juices back onto the fish, and when the meat is firm to touch take away the foil and finish it under the broiler until the skin gets crispy and dark. For the last touch I squeeze lemon all over it and let it sear on the hot pan.

Even though you have to deal with bones, this is a fun dish to eat with your fingers.........

........  wash it down with a glass of cold retsina and say Yassou!!
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

hmm real good !!

we normally prepare the fish as a whole just like that but I need to add the last step of the broiler for few minutes for the crispy skin.

thanks for sharing
The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

If you steam it with ginger and then pour scalding peanut oil all over it a Hawaiian will follow you home.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."