I'm not much of a striper guy........

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 17, 2019, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Cool! Good fishin in the Bay!
They usedta have recomendations for the SF Bay about limiting the number of fish consumed over a given time peroid, due to mercury levels in the fish. Still?

Good info. Professor. Strippers really did take-off after being introduced to the Bay-delta region in Calie.
Surprised to learn that they were introduced to Kaua'i in 1920. We have 3 sizeable river-estuary systems that might work well for them, but I've not seen hide ner hair of stripers, nor heard about them here. Probably couldn't compete...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: El Pescador on September 18, 2019, 01:12:22 PM

What is the reason you didn't keep any of the Striped Bass???  Out of season??

They are a quality fish, so much so that in 1639 the state of Mass. forbid people to use them for fertilizer (something they were doing in the pilgrim's time). Here's some history on it:

https://www.laketexomafishingguides.com/fishing-articles/history-of-the-striped-bass/

.... but the fact is they live in the delta for most of their life.

... and I've always got rockfish in the icebox so they're catch & release for me.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Crow

Interesting reading. Thanks for posting it !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on September 18, 2019, 12:45:25 AM
Quote from: steelfish on September 18, 2019, 12:15:54 AM
looks like fun

what rod and reel were you using?

St Croix mojo rod & Lew's Tournament pro, basic freshwater bass stuff. Halibuts were in the 10-15lb range, drag burners on light tackle.

nice combo.

I dont have a proper freshwater rod, but I do have a el cheapo "renegade tuffmax" 8-17 rod with no guides that I will repair to have it as my light saltwater rod,
I lifted a 15# toolbox with it with no problem so it should work with 3# spottedbay bass, I plan to paired with an old Bantam 2000Gt magnunlite reel.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on September 18, 2019, 06:54:55 AM
I wish I could find it again.  Somewhere there is a description of transporting the first striped bass from the East Coast to the West Coast in milk cans on a train. That's the 1897 record.  As long as the train was moving it went OK.  But if the train stopped then someone had to start shaking those milk cans.  The splashing kept the water aerated.

That's a really nice one Ninja. It looks like it might have some white bass/wiper blood with the broken lines.  California must still be stocking or moving fish around.
-steve
I have a book somewhere that describes the transporting of striped bass in milk cans somewhere in the house.  If you are interested I'll see if I can find it and it's yours if I do find it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

That's very generous of you Dominick.  But, we are drowning in books from three generations of hobbies.  Books don't fair well in our humidity either and require upkeep.  So, they sort of become a liability after a while.

A hi-def video of you reading the appropriate passages will do fine.  Please speak clearly.
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on September 20, 2019, 05:17:32 AM
That's very generous of you Dominick.  But, we are drowning in books from three generations of hobbies.  Books don't fair well in our humidity either and require upkeep.  So, they sort of become a liability after a while.

A hi-def video of you reading the appropriate passages will do fine.  Please speak clearly.
-steve

Then it will go viral... ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.