Reel work stand (Finished)

Started by xjchad, September 18, 2019, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I don't have room in our place to set up a work bench or a large tool box.  I have all my mechanic/construction tools in the garage, but they are not easily accessible.  I typically work on reels after the kids have gone to bed.  My wife will be reading or folding laundry on the couch and I will sit on the floor with an old t shirt spread out in front of me and have all my reel tools in an aluminum case from Harbor Freight opened up beside me.  Lately, I've been using a 18" x 24" cutting board as a makeshift table on the floor in front of me just to give me a more solid work surface.

I had an idea for a reel stand that I thought I'd try and I think it turned out pretty good.  Hopefully this will be a helpful idea for some of you as well.

I bought a reel seat off ebay and made the rest from scrap I had laying around.  The pictures can explain better than my words can.

The joint in the middle is so that I can swivel the reel in any direction I need to by loosening and tightening the wing nut.

I will mount this to my cutting board and I also plan on adding some short legs to the cutting board so that it can sit up over my lap when I'm sitting on the floor.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

That's a darn good idea, Chad !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

bhale1

Awesome....gonna copy that ;D
Brett

redsetta

Great work mate - inspired!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

steelfish

really clever, but IMO you can get a graphite reelseat for that way more cheaper and it will work as good
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Im liking that stand brother....good job...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gobi King

how is the reel seat attached on the other end? won't it rotate?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

xjchad

Quote from: Gobi King on September 18, 2019, 08:27:15 PM
how is the reel seat attached on the other end? won't it rotate?

The tube of the reel seat has an aluminum insert pressed into it that is threaded for the stud.
The nuts on the stud lock it tight to the seat and the mounting bracket.  It won't rotate unless I loosen the nuts.

Alto Mare

Very cool idea Chad, I like it!  Is the spool shaft part of the design as well?

Thanks for sharing,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 18, 2019, 09:36:30 PM
Very cool idea Chad, I like it!  Is the spool shaft part of the design as well?

Thanks for sharing,

Sal

Thank you Sal!  Are you referring to the spool shaft that is in the 49?
That's my homemade 49A project: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28552.0
The shaft from a LB 67.  It's about .200 too short, so I'm working on how to lengthen the shaft and make the side plates for the spool.  This one might take awhile... 

Quote from: steelfish on September 18, 2019, 10:29:13 PM
really clever

that reelseat deserve to be on a fishing rod, a graphite reelseat will work just as good with this design

Alex,
I got that seat from ebay for $13.  It has a threaded aluminum insert pressed into it.  It's sold as a "bowfishing reel seat".
I got that one for ease of mounting to my bracket.
If you have a graphite one that I can mount to my bracket, I'll trade ya.

Alto Mare

Oh, now I remember that project...you go Chad ;).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: xjchad on September 18, 2019, 10:35:49 PM
If you have a graphite one that I can mount to my bracket, I'll trade ya.

not necesary, it actually look pretty good since it makes the reel stand more appealing.
The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Chad,
Bow fishing reel seat, ah ha, gotcha, thanks a bunch, good work!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

xjchad

All finished up.  Just need to use it now.

Donnyboat

Great idea, Chad, thanks for sharing, you would think your wife would let you bolt it to the kitchen table, then she could get involve as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat