Flourocarbon ID

Started by nelz, September 18, 2019, 07:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I fish both regular mono and flourocarbon leaders. On occasion I forget what I had on last. Is there a way to tell the difference between mono and flourocarbon? Some kind of test perhaps? I hate to throw out a perfectly good piece of expensive flourocarbon thinking it was mono.  ???

Captain64-200

If it's 100% fluorocarbon leader ,you won't be able to see it once under water   
Fred from Biarritz ,

nelz

Quote from: Captain64-200 on September 18, 2019, 09:30:11 PMIf it's 100% fluorocarbon leader ,you won't be able to see it once under water

I've tried comparing them in a glass of water, but they look the same. Probably needs to be deeper before the difference is apparent.

wfjord

The one that sinks is fluorocarbon.

Smols

If you have short leaders tied on, you can give the line a good stretch - the fluoro will straighten out after a good stretch, but the mono will retain some curl from being wrapped around the spool.

Gobi King

what #test?

Dunno know if you can do a little burn test and tell by the color.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

nelz

Quote from: Gobi King on September 19, 2019, 03:17:30 PMwhat #test?
Dunno know if you can do a little burn test and tell by the color.

30#

Gobi King

true test is density of the material as pointed out
so cut a piece of similar length and drop in water and let go and see which drops faster?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gfish

Good info. here. I've been using flexibility(esp. when tying knots) and differences in stretch capacity.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SoCalAngler

Fluorocarbon will be stiffer than mono. Take a both lines and lay them between your thumb and fore finger. If the line attached to the reel has a hook or lure on it cut it off. Now with the two lines pinched in your fingers leave around a 1/4 to 1/2 inch sticking out one side. Make sure they are both side by side and the same length. With your other hand grab or place your finger on the known line and wiggle it, then wiggle the other. Say the known line is mono you will be able feel how stiff it is. If the other line feels the same with the wiggle test then you know you have a mono leader attached. If the line feels stiffer then you have fluoro attached.

Of course both lines need to be the same lb test for this to work right. The stiffness difference between the two different lines should be easy to tell.

nelz

Thanks for the tips guys.

Also, sometimes the FC looks to fray and peel in a way that seems like layers in an onion.

Anybody have a black light to see if they glow differently perhaps?

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on September 21, 2019, 04:29:42 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Also, sometimes the FC looks to fray and peel in a way that seems like layers in an onion.

Anybody have a black light to see if they glow differently perhaps?
nope,,,,, :( 80lb mono vs 18lb flouro under a neon black light,,,, :) but old flouro is bad luck,,,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Thanks Benni, now I don't have to go out and buy a black light.  ;D

BTW, is a "neon black light" the same as a florescent tube one?

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on September 22, 2019, 06:21:54 AM
Thanks Benni, now I don't have to go out and buy a black light.  ;D

BTW, is a neon black light the same as a florescent tube one?
not sure I will do that soon,,,,,, :D some line has frourecent in it,,,,,, ;D

Fishy247

QuoteBTW, is a "neon black light" the same as a florescent tube one?

Pretty much. I think they call it a "neon black light" because it causes neon colors to glow.

Mike