Flourocarbon ID

Started by nelz, September 18, 2019, 07:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 21, 2019, 04:23:22 PM
Fluorocarbon will be stiffer than mono. Take a both lines and lay them between your thumb and fore finger. If the line attached to the reel has a hook or lure on it cut it off. Now with the two lines pinched in your fingers leave around a 1/4 to 1/2 inch sticking out one side. Make sure they are both side by side and the same length. With your other hand grab or place your finger on the known line and wiggle it, then wiggle the other. Say the known line is mono you will be able feel how stiff it is. If the other line feels the same with the wiggle test then you know you have a mono leader attached. If the line feels stiffer then you have fluoro attached.

Of course both lines need to be the same lb test for this to work right. The stiffness difference between the two different lines should be easy to tell.

This^^^^

Benni3

Neon is neon bulb,,,,, :) I looked for the florescent bulbs  ??? But don't know where there at,,,,but I got something somewhere,,,,,,, ;D

UKChris1

Hi chaps,
I know this is a little old now, but there is a difference in the way the two types of line burn.

Hold the end in a flame and nylon will melt, catch fire and continue to burn when taken out of the flame (dropping hot blobs on the carpet so watch out) whereas fluorocarbon will go out on its own when withdrawn from the flame.
At least, that's what happens with mine (both lines are ~1.5mm thick).

(Oh, and I don't believe for one moment f/c is invisible to fish per se. Matching leader colour to the water and background colours and to light intensity is more important in my humble opinion, and personal experience.)

Cheers,
Chris

Tiddlerbasher

Fluorocarbon will generally sink more quickly. Some lines that shed 'layers' when fraying could be copolymers or fluro coated mono :-\