D.A.M Quick 110 compared to D.A.M. Quick 220

Started by foakes, September 19, 2019, 10:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Strange to compare a Microlite 110 reel to a 220 reel --

A 220 DQ is a very tough and capable reel that has been proven to last a half century -- and is still going perfectly and effectively for another 50 year lap.

The "little brother" is the 110 Microlite.

Differences --

Smaller rotor & spool
1/4" shorter stand stem
Slightly smaller bearing

Same over-built, clever, and dead simple engineering.  Same size case, sideplate, shift housing.  Same steel worm-drive and steel drive axle. Same phosphor cut bronze main gear.  Same handle length.

Basically a tough 220 only in a smaller size Microlite.

For me, after working on many thousands of these over the years -- they are still impressive.

Finishing up these two for a client with full restores.  All cleaning, corrosion removal, burnishing, a very few new parts, and polishing is complete.  Now the easy part -- lubing, reassembly, testing, inspection, fine tuning, and re-testing & inspection prior to bagging and sending back home.

Just went down to the PO to pick up another two boxes from back East -- Tennessee & Maine -- of Quicks for complete restoration.

11 in one box, 18 in the other.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

There's a reason every small spinning reel I tear apart gets compared to the 110 or 220...they are the spinning reel to measure up to. Nice work there Fred...the client will be on cloud nine! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

I remember the first D-A-M Quick I laid eyes on.  One of my dad's friends had a 220.  Said the big cats kept ripping the gears out of his Mitchell 300, so he made the switch. Next time my birthday rolled around I had one.

Fred, what town in Tennessee did the box of reels come from?

foakes

Quote from: festus on September 20, 2019, 12:32:13 AM
I remember the first D-A-M Quick I laid eyes on.  One of my dad's friends had a 220.  Said the big cats kept ripping the gears out of his Mitchell 300, so he made the switch. Next time my birthday rolled around I had one.

Fred, what town in Tennessee did the box of reels come from?

Yeah, Festus --

It is really hard when you understand reels, like most of us do -- to compare a Mitchell 300 to a D.A.M. Quick 220.

Size is about the only similarity.

Here is the drivetrain on a Mitchell -- compared to a Quick.

One has alloy aluminum gears -- better than pot metal -- but the Quick has Phosphor cut bronze, steel shafts, steel worm drive, and an oversize bearing -- Mitchell has no bearing.

Quicks, Penns, and Cardinals are all in the same class when it comes to durability and capability.

The box of 11 Quicks came from Cordova, TN.  The box of 18 Quicks came from Freeport, Maine.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.