Penn 3/0 to 2/0 conversion

Started by WDill, September 21, 2019, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDill

Didn't have a 2/0 so I decided to convert one of my 3/0 reels. Stripped down the 3/0 internals were pretty good, installed on new 2/0 plate and donor spool from 285. Added new frame posts, reassembled and there she is. Did not want to cover the assembly process, that has been addressed many times here.

The gorgeous power handle courtesy of Sal. Outstanding craftsmanship. Love the narrow look, may have to convert my other one.

Once I locate a stand she will be complete.

Wish I were fishing

Donnyboat

Looks great Will, thinking of doing the same myself, love the handle, but postage to West aussie, is astronomical. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

WDill

Thanks, still needs some work though, eventually new rings, and a 3 piece stainless spool.
Wish I were fishing

Ron Jones

The 2/0 stand can be a pain to find. Shame Newell never helped us out. Looks reely pretty, maybe a cradle rod?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

xjchad

That turned out great Will!
Love it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

Will, give me a couple of days and I "should" have a 2/0 stand for you(30 - 111). I'll let you know.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

nice..

so, this should be call it a 2/0 or a narrow 3/0?

I have a 3/0 that I never use, thinking in doing something like this..

The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Nicely done

I would call it a 2/0 now, because that's what it is. A "narrow" 3/0 IMO would be in between a 2/0 and 3/0....aka 99 width. A long beach 65 spool and posts, and a 99 seat would get you a midsize 3/0
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

I've always wanted to build one of those. A slow 112H. The big drags would be nice and enough capacity to fish a couple hundred feet. Wouldn't want to go deeper with something that slow.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

WDill

Thanks for the input guys, I have been wanting a 2/0 for awhile and I had the extra 3/0 so I figured why not. 2/0 side plate and posts, spool from 285. I never knew it would be so hard to find that stand.

Gfish, thanks for looking. Hope you can find one. If you do, pm me what you need for it.

Drags are here from mystic so I guess I will be tearing it down again. Just more practice.

Bill
Wish I were fishing

WDill

Almost forgot, after i was done with the 2/0 I started thinking (we all know how dangerous that is) what to do with the left over parts. So I took the 3/0 spool and posts scrounged a 30-200 stand and the 285 side plates and created an ultra-wide 285. What it's good for I have no clue but it works perfectly.

Wish I were fishing

mo65

Nice work! 8)

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 23, 2019, 05:09:26 PM
A "narrow" 3/0 IMO would be in between a 2/0 and 3/0....aka 99 width. A long beach 65 spool and posts, and a 99 seat would get you a midsize 3/0

That's what I did with this 3/0 hot rod. Only difference is I used a Seaboy 190 aluminum spool, which for all practical purposes, is a LB65 spool. I added double AR dogs and a 5-stack drag too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: WDill on September 23, 2019, 11:21:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I have been wanting a 2/0 for awhile and I had the extra 3/0 so I figured why not. 2/0 side plate and posts, spool from 285. I never knew it would be so hard to find that stand.

Gfish, thanks for looking. Hope you can find one. If you do, pm me what you need for it.

Drags are here from mystic so I guess I will be tearing it down again. Just more practice.

Bill

No problem. I payed for the whole beater/parts reel awhile back, seems like it's ona slow boat to Hawaii. Should be here this week. The stand I have already is in good shape, I'm in the process getting clamp parts now. Yep, a ss gear sleeve, power handle and a few-not-tweaked-parts from the beater should do it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on September 24, 2019, 03:12:38 PM
Nice work! 8)

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 23, 2019, 05:09:26 PM
A "narrow" 3/0 IMO would be in between a 2/0 and 3/0....aka 99 width. A long beach 65 spool and posts, and a 99 seat would get you a midsize 3/0

That's what I did with this 3/0 hot rod. Only difference is I used a Seaboy 190 aluminum spool, which for all practical purposes, is a LB65 spool. I added double AR dogs and a 5-stack drag too.

another master piece Mo.
hopefully after finish some rods I will take my 3/0 reel again, I like the reel but for braidline it has just too much capacity, almost same than my Baja Special and the tiburon YTS but with lot less drag, I was tempted to go with the special run of ultra narrow kit by tiburon with randy but I have to many project and too little money  :'( :'(

The Baja Guy