Alan Tani 11th anniversary crab and rock cod charter

Started by mikeysm, September 21, 2019, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Quote from: mikeysm on November 11, 2019, 07:42:41 PM
We will be fishing deep so bring heavy weights.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll be bringing big and heavy jigs!!!!

I'm really looking forward to this trip as I just realized I don't have any rockfish/lingcod in the freezer and I've never done a crabbing trip before!!!

Bill B

Ok I'm in, sent PP today. The wife is coming along to go shopping while we are fishing. I think this trip is going to cost me more than I thought 😱 Figure we will drive up Friday and back home on Sunday. Looking forward to meeting you guys.....and sharing a few cold frosty beverages.....🍻  Bill

Edit.....stupid question, we may fly up ( thanks to flight miles) and southwest charges $75 for fishing poles...would anyone happen to have a pole I could borrow?  I will supply the reels. 😉
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JoseCuervo

Previously I have always used about 8-10 ounce weights for cod fishing. On our trip on the 7th tangles were happening all around the boat right from the get go on a flat calm day. The current under the surface was apparently bad and the deck hands had everyone bump to 1 pounders (16 ounces).

It sucks having to have a wide variety of heavy leads on hand.. Whatever you need is available for purchase on the boat though.

Swami805

I'm driving Bill so I can bring a few extra with me for you,something for a baja special and a jigmaster I'm thinking?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Bill with the names I see on the confirmed list I'm sure there will be plenty of gear to use! You could probably even leave the reels at home!!!!! I know I'll be bringing a couple set-ups  ;D ;D ;D ;D

El Pescador

Bill,

NO NEED to bring rods or reels,

Between Alan, Dominick and me - you have plenty of choices.

I have 4 Penn Surfmaster 100's all tricked out (Thanks SAL for the great reel recommendation),

Just get here, you'll be set.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jlezama

Gentleman
      The maximum depth we will be fishing is 230 ft but as low as 50. The boat has a wise assortment of lead weights, so you can buy them there. They also have flies which are most effective. The area we are going is deep reef about a mile or two from the harbor (takes around 45 mins to get there)
Juan

Swami805

What style is the fishing ?  Do they anchor or get everyone one side of the boat and drift?  Maybe "free boat" and use the motor to hold over a spot? 

jlezama

Quote from: Swami805 on November 14, 2019, 08:58:57 PM
What style is the fishing ?  Do they anchor or get everyone one side of the boat and drift?  Maybe "free boat" and use the motor to hold over a spot? 
We drift and leave the motor running so we don't go to far from the marks. We do not anchor down, more of A SoCal thing.
6-8-10 oz bars with a teaser fly should work perfectly for lingcod but nothing beats a pair of flys if you are after big reds and olives
Juan

Bill B

Thanks for the offer guys, I will take you up on it if we fly.....I think I have some materials to make some shrimp flies, if I do I'll tie some up and bring them along...need to see if the Nep-Tuna will make the slot size and not incur a baggage fee, if it does it will make it's maiden voyage this trip...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Did we charter this boat or are we just taking over an open party trip?

mikeysm

Swami805

Heard from my brother that crab opening for commercial has been postponed until Dec 15th. If that's a fact Should have some good crabbing!

jlezama

Quote from: Swami805 on November 22, 2019, 05:54:32 AM
Heard from my brother that crab opening for commercial has been postponed until Dec 15th. If that's a fact Should have some good crabbing!
Indeed! they are pulling big pots almost every day now!

pjstevko

Are we gonna be able to fill up the boat? If not, whats the plan?