Any righties use a left handed conventional?

Started by Recoil Rob, September 22, 2019, 04:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

I'm a righty and have been fishing over 50 years, typical in that I use a conventional with he handle on the right and spinning with the handle on the left.

My buddy (also a righty) mentioned today that he finds it easier to set the hook on bottom species like tautog using spinning gear than conventional. I thought about it and decide he's correct, the reason being you are using your dominant hand to lift the rod and set the hook.

Which is making me question why I am still using conventionals with the handle on the right. I am setting up a Jigstar Light overhead(conventional) jigging rod and I am tempted to use a left handed reel now that they are more readily available. I don't think there will be too much of an adjustment and since lifting the fish is more of the work than turning the handle I think it might be easier.

Anyone tried switching sides? How'd it work out?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

oc1

I'm partially ambidextrous but cannot write with my right hand and cannot throw a ball with my left hand. 

I never used a left hand conventional/baitcasting reel but it seemed like it would be the better way to go.  Cast with the stronger right arm and then crank with the left hand.  Seemed like it would be way better than changing hands before and after every cast.  It would be just like using a spinning reel.  Correct?

No, not correct.  I tried fishing with a Calcutta 51; the left hand version of the Calcutta 50 that I fish with often.  It was terrible.  It was worse than the first time I ever used a right-hand fishing reel.  It was worse than the first time I used a spinning reel with the handle on the left side.  I had to concentrate just to make the handle go round and round and it still wanted to go in an oval or egg shape instead of a circle.

After about an hour it was not getting any easier so I put the left handed rig away and went back to the right handed rig.  I'm still a bit dumbfounded and do not understand why it is that way.

-steve

Captain64-200

As many fishermen  in europe I use left-handed conventionals ( Tranx,Cardiff , 321 GTI ,....)   ,and  left-handed spinners .....It's a mystery to me why (in US among other countries )   cast ,then change hand  to  crank   (as you said Steve)  ,it seems not logical and counterproductive  when you need a fast  hook-up or cranking  the lure as it touch the water (for example)

But I suppose everything can  be learned   !

I agree for rock-fishing  , snappers & porgies often need  to hook-up as the bait/lure hit the bottom , better for me to control the spool /rod with the right hand /arm  and immédiatly crank with right hand .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Cor

I am fundamentally right handed and always use right handed conventional reels.   I am sure I could use a left handed reel if I needed to, perhaps with a proviso depending on what I would be doing.

I have been totally ambidextrous when it comes to casting from about 1999.    I used to fish at a spot where it was advantageous to cast left handed and decided to learn to do that.    It took me 2 days.
I now cast  left and or right depending on which arm is hurting the most, or sometimes depending on where the fish are, to the annoyance of the guys standing around me. :D

I am not aware that it makes any difference to anything else, it is just a simple automatic motion to cast, and retrieve the lure.   Occasionally when I need to cast far and accurately I still tend to favour my right arm.   

Down here we mostly use heavy tackle and don't cast single handed, so you always have 2 hands on the rod when casting and I don't see how a left or right handed reel would effect that.

Cornelis

Crow

I "write right", but would rather 'fish left".......most of my "lure" type fishing requires (do to shallow water, snags, etc.) that I make accurate casts(my right hand is more accurate for that), and start my retrieve *immediately *..if not sooner!...so "cranking with my left" answers that issue.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Recoil Rob

I'm not concerned with casting, mostly jigging and bottom fishing, so switching hands would not come into it.

Captain64-200, did you mean..."better for me to control the spool /rod with the right hand /arm  and immediately crank with left hand"?
   - Errol Flynn

Captain64-200

Quote from: Recoil Rob on September 22, 2019, 02:50:37 PM
I'm not concerned with casting, mostly jigging and bottom fishing, so switching hands would come into it.

Captain64-200, did you mean..."better for me to control the spool /rod with the right hand /arm  and immediately crank with left hand"?

Yes Sir !  ;D
Fred from Biarritz ,

Bill B

As a right handed, I prefer to cast with the right arm and reel with the left hand.  Switching hands (when using a right handed reel) after casting seems like a wasted movement.  Unfortunately left handed reels are more expensive than the more common right handed. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

happyhooker

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 22, 2019, 06:14:37 PM
As a right handed, I prefer to cast with the right arm and reel with the left hand.  Switching hands (when using a right handed reel) after casting seems like a wasted movement.  Unfortunately left handed reels are more expensive than the more common right handed. Bill

...more expensive, maybe, but less common and in some models, unobtainable too, at least as far as bait casters and spin casters.  If you like cranking with the right hand, then you get "shortchanged" on vintage spinning reels, many of which only came in left hand crank.

Frank

oc1

OK.... somebody explain why it feels natural to crank a spinning reel with the left hand and it feels natural to crank a baitcasting reel with the right hand.
-steve

Recoil Rob

- Errol Flynn

Cor

Quote from: Recoil Rob on September 23, 2019, 06:40:41 AM
I'd venture you're just used to it....
Agree, when I was a little younger I used a spinning reel for a while in the upright position and became perfectly comfortable with that.
Cornelis

Ron Jones

I've always enjoyed the advantage of being a South Paw when it comes to overhand multipliers. It never made any sense to me to use a left hand retrive reel, thus my Mitchels that end with an odd number. It's also apropriate that I'm a little odd...
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

boon

I'm a lefty and I fish everything with the handle on the right. Makes sense to have my stronger hand doing the rod management, the right just has to go around in circles.

Gobi King

The biggest thing I ever landed is a 33 lb chinook, so take what I say here with 33 lb grain of salt.

I am right handed, I played tennis for many years in high school and after and my right hand and and left hand looks like they are from different individuals,

I prefer to hold the rod with my right hand and reel with left, same for casting (which I not that great at).

My girls are mixed, one lefty and one right (was lefty but school made her switch). So nearly all my reels are Left handed expect for Okuma Makaira.

I feel I have more control and more strength holding the rod with my right.

boon, it is good to see that I am not the only one :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan