Calcutta 50 problem

Started by Jocool, September 22, 2019, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jocool

It's been a while...But I'm back into fishing. ;D

I have a Calcutta 50 that I pulled down for a service and repair of the line guide. while I was at it, I changed the drag washers. When I put the right sideplate back together, I couldn't turn the handle. If I back off the screws that hold the sideplate to the set plate, I can get it it to turn. But then when I attach the sideplate to the reel body, it becomes near impossible to turn the handle.

What should I be looking for? I'm sure it's something stupidly simple that i'm missing. ::)

oc1

The drag washers may be too thick.  Remove one just to test it.  If the washers are too thick you can try to lap them down on sandpaper or look for thinner carbontex material.
-steve

Joc00l

Quote from: oc1 on September 22, 2019, 08:12:10 PM
The drag washers may be too thick.  Remove one just to test it.  If the washers are too thick you can try to lap them down on sandpaper or look for thinner carbontex material.
-steve

I've used original Shimano washers.

alantani

any chance you have two washers under the mail gear?  i've done that before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joc00l

Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2019, 10:19:07 PM
any chance you have two washers under the mail gear?  i've done that before. 

I'll check, but I don't think so.

Joc00l

Found it! ;D

The idle gear 1827 sits on the drive shaft 1828. The drive shaft has a square base for the idle gear to nest i to. But it can go p e of two ways. If not the right way, it won't allow the antireverse ratchet 1826 to nest in to the same section of the drive shaft.

I hope that makes sense.

Joc00l

I'm hoping these pictures make sense.

oc1

Yeah, that thing has to sit down.  Good job.
-steve