Reel Repair

Started by mrbrklyn, September 24, 2019, 04:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I have an old Pen 12 Torque star drag and I damaged it last night.  I've been suffering a tooth ache and in a rare display of anger, I got angry and threw the pole and the star drag against the boat.  It dent the handle for the drag.  I tried pliers on the handle and it just snapped.  In truth I can just use it as is, but I'd rather repair it.  It will need a new star drag handle at least, and a look over by a pro.  Nornally, I would send this to Pen for a repair, but I'm open to giving it somone on the board who feels they have the parts and experise to fix it.

thorhammer

ahhhh...that explains the anger better than the tooth....you're a Mets fan...tough year.

My 0.02, get the star from Mystic, which you will need in any case, and simply swap it out and see if the reel functions as-is before you spend shipping to repair address. Having seen these being built in the factory, I wanted one immediately when i saw what tanks they are. If you did tweak something in the drive drain upon impact, you will know quickly as the new star will bind or it will bind when reeling if out of sync. If you bent the handle you may be able to tap it out...I've done it many times.

John