Daiwa 1300C

Started by festus, September 25, 2019, 08:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

There are plenty of good inexpensive all metal bodied Daiwas out there on the big auction.  These small to medium spinners seem to cast very well distance-wise for the diameter of their spools.  This is one of the silver series with one ball bearing on the pinion.

This one needed some work, it was reeling stiffly and needed some cleanup on the exterior, but I've seen much worse..

These are convertible from right-left to left-right retrieve.

Nice sturdy aluminum spool.

Most likely this is the first time this one had been serviced, it was a chore removing the side plate screws.

As I expected, it was very dry of lube inside.  Not too dirty, however.

The drive gear has brass bushings on both sides, a plus.  Some of the other C series have plastic bushings even though the schematics say metal.

Removal of the set screw from the oscillating slider..........

..........allows the removal of the axle...........

..........which allows removal of the main gear.

Again, it isn't too dirty inside underneath it all.

The rotor is attached to the pinion with a regular right handed threaded 12 mm nut.

Yes, there is a bearing under there and it's good to see there is no troublesome snap ring to remove.

Good looking pinion and bearing.  A couple of my other similar Daiwas didn't have bearings.

No surprise here with the drag washers.  For freshwater panfish and smallmouth fishing it will be ok stock.

Parts weren't dirty enough to drag out the lacquer thinner.  The gears and internal metal parts had a good shakedown bath in a half pint jelly jar of Simple Green.  The inside of the housing was sprayed with PB Blaster and scrubbed with a toothbrush.  The exterior was given a good scrubbing with orange scented citrus Purple Power cleaner.  The bail worked fine so I left it assembled.  Only thing tedious was reassembly of the anti-reverse spring, I have no idea how I got it right but it's working.

These reels should last for many years with proper care.  The only plastic parts are the handle knob, anti-reverse lever, and the drag knob.  Line capacity is 270 yds 6 lb/200 yds 8 lb/125 yds 10 lb/100 yds 12 lb mono.  IMHO, I'd never spool it with anything stronger than 8 lb mono, and 6 lb mono is ideal.  It weighs 10.48 oz on my scales without line.  I'm not sure how many models are in these C Silver Series, but nice specimens can be found for $15 or less shipped if you're patient.

festus

Almost forgot the schematic.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Hardy Boy

I have two of these but in the larger 1600 size. I have used them for jacks in Mexico and they have worked really well. I cleaned them up like you did and upgraded the drag washers and filled with 30 lb braid. One day I landed well over a dozen jacks with one and it held up with no issues. Great well built reel.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

festus

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 25, 2019, 08:54:19 PM
I have two of these but in the larger 1600 size. I have used them for jacks in Mexico and they have worked really well. I cleaned them up like you did and upgraded the drag washers and filled with 30 lb braid. One day I landed well over a dozen jacks with one and it held up with no issues. Great well built reel.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd, do these reels handle braid pretty well?

Hardy Boy

The two I have worked just fine with the braid. With the upgraded drag washers I can put out more drag than the rod can handle and its nice and smooth. The jacks gave it a serious work out and all was good. I don't think these reels get the respect they deserve, better than a lot of new "econo" reels out there and should be good for many more years or service.

todd
Todd

Midway Tommy

I have seen people replace the nylon or bronze drive bushings with a matching sized ball bearing. I can see it with the nylon bushings but I've never really seen any advantage to trading out the oilite bushings. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

As usual, a good, readable review of this reel.  Your's looks really good, post surgery.  I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Thanks.

Frank

foakes

Nice job, Chester -- and good pics!

The silver and gold in these "C" series reels are very solid and capable.

At some point, you may decide to get all in these series.  There are about 10 sizes starting with the little 500 size -- and going up to the 9000C.

The 500, 700, 1000, and Mini-Mites are kind of pricey -- however, the rest of this skirted spool series can be obtained pretty reasonably -- and they make a good arsenal.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Good job Chester, those C series reels seem like a good bang for the buck. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swede 53

I picked up a 1300c at an auction sale a couple years ago in a box of 4 reels i got for $5,it was the only one that needed more than cleaning and lube.The bronze bushing on the left where the handle was had so much wear that it had ruined the drive gear.The drive gear and pinion for these are not hard to find but the bushings were so i picked up another one on ebay for less than $10 shipped with the idea of making one out of two,before that one showed up i found bushings and ended up with 2 reels.They are quite a step up from the A-130rl with that c-clip holding in the pinion and rotor.

Silvers

Quote from: festus on September 25, 2019, 08:23:26 PMI'm not sure how many models are in these C Silver Serie

500C, 700C, 1000C, 1300C, 1500C, 1600C, 2500C, 2600C, 4000C, 7000C, 9000C

In summon, 11 different models as mainbase.

Some of them wasnt sold everywhere (700C/1600C not in europe), japan has slighty different models (Sprinter Series), some countrys has black color export models (Canada with the E-Models) and there was also mixed types from the early 80s, as the main production goes to Bando in Korea (ST Series).

Here is just an example of the 1300 in different types.

And here are the series, 10 models without the 700C. Few times later i got also the 700C and i complete this series without specials like pickup-versions etc.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Silvers

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 25, 2019, 11:50:26 PM
I have seen people replace the nylon or bronze drive bushings with a matching sized ball bearing. I can see it with the nylon bushings but I've never really seen any advantage to trading out the oilite bushings. 

Replacing those bushings doesnt work with all models, most of those plasic or bronze bushings are very thin, so a ball bearing woulnt fit. The only way to fit them would be drilling out the hole in the body...but for what? The bushings are very good, in saltwater are the plastics better as any other (no corrosion), the bronze need just a bit more care.

People do that mainly with later models like the X-Series, Regal-D Series (in Europe is that a black X-Series called "Black Diamond") or other Series like RS/RB/RG/SK/AS/ etc.
Oh i forgot, you can do that also with some of the Bronze-Series at the Pinion bearing.
Some of those models can also easy improve to a silent anti reverse.  ;)

philaroman

last I looked, the big 9000,7000 were almost as sought after as the tiny 500,700
(for use -- not shelf-sitting)...  the middle sizes can be very cheap