Daiwa 1300C

Started by festus, September 25, 2019, 08:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvers

The small ones like 500C/700C, well, i dont really see here a reason to use them.
Maybe for ice fishing or for kids ;D, otherwise those little reels are more toys as tools.

Good ones are 1000C/1600C/2600C/4000C/7000C/9000C

All of them have a good excenter gear and AR-claw which is gear gently in front of the pinion, except the 1000C (same AR at the drive gear like the 1300/1500C)
The AR-ratchet of the biggest 3 are screwed together with the rotor, no fish will brake them.

The cheapest designed one is the 1500C, no ball bearing, pinion pressed in the rotor.
But ok, they will do also the job for a long time with some care.

All of those reels need a grease which is not too thin and fluid, any marine grease (as example from mercury) will do the job very well.
I would not recommend to swap out the teflon washers for carbon pieces, only for the 3 bigger ones if need a bit (the difference between teflon and carbon in those reels is very small) more brake power.
The teflon washers (from Dupont) are very good if cleaned, they can work forever without problems...just hold them dry.
Beware, in some of those models are also a gummed leather washer at the bottom of the stack.

I mostly like bigger ones, beginning with the 1600C. The 7000/9000C i use since few years for catfishing (best catch was 137lbs) and they will catch any big catfish without any problem.
The smaller ones like 1600/2600C i use mainly for eel/burbot fishing, very nice carefree fishing with them.

The 2500C & 2600C are in many things different, the 2500C have the ar-claw at the drive gear and a very big ballbearing at the pinion.
Spools of both are also not the same, the 2600C is slighty bigger, but both have a plastic inlay in the spool which is bad, because it reduce the possibly brake power.
The spools from other series like Apollo are interchangeable and dont have that crappy plastic inlay, the spool of the A250 or 250X should fit for the 2600C.

1600C/2600C can easy upgrade to a silence AR, you need just the ratchet & claw from the GS2/3/SS2000/3000 (all the same parts) and a 6,7mm drill.  ;)

festus

Quote from: Silvers on October 28, 2019, 10:08:40 AM
The small ones like 500C/700C, well, i dont really see here a reason to use them.
Maybe for ice fishing or for kids ;D, otherwise those little reels are more toys as tools.

All of them have a good excenter gear and AR-claw which is gear gently in front of the pinion.
The AR-ratchet of the biggest 3 are screwed together with the rotor, no fish will brake them.

The cheapest designed one is the 1500C, no ball bearing, pinion pressed in the rotor.
But ok, they will do also the job for a long time with some care.

All of those reels need a grease which is not too thin and fluid, any marine grease (as example from mercury) will do the job very well.
I would not recommend to swap out the teflon washers for carbon pieces, only for the 3 bigger ones if need a bit (the difference between teflon and carbon in those reels is very small) more brake power.
The teflon washers (from Dupont) are very good if cleaned, they can work forever without problems...just hold them dry.
Beware, in some of those models are also a gummed leather washer at the bottom of the stack.

I mostly like bigger ones, beginning with the 1600C. The 7000/9000C i use since few years for catfishing (best catch was 137lbs) and they will catch any big catfish without any problem.
The smaller ones like 1600/2600C i use mainly for eel/burbot fishing, very nice carefree fishing with them.

The 2500C & 2600C are in many things different, the 2500C have the ar-claw at the drive gear and a very big ballbearing at the pinion.
Spools of both are also not the same, the 2600C is slighty bigger, but both have a plastic inlay in the spool which is bad, because it reduce the possibly brake power.
The spools from other series like Apollo are interchangeable and dont have that crappy plastic inlay, the spool of the A250 or 250X should fit for the 2600C.

1600C/2600C can easy upgrade to a silence AR, you need just the ratchet & claw from the GS2/3/SS2000/3000 (all the same parts) and a 6,7mm drill.  ;)

Thanks for all yhis useful inormation, Silvers, there are more C models on my wish list.

mo65

All of them have a good excenter gear and AR-claw which is gear gently in front of the pinion.

Just for information purposes, this needs a little correction. The 1000c has the post gear mesh AR dog just like the 1300c. Oddly enough, the tiny 500c and 700c have the forward mounted AR like the big models. Even more odd...that 500c appears to be the only model other than the 7000c and 9000c to use a spool sleeve! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Silvers

Quote from: mo65 on December 01, 2019, 03:55:56 PM

Just for information purposes, this needs a little correction. The 1000c has the post gear mesh AR dog just like the 1300c. Oddly enough, the tiny 500c and 700c have the forward mounted AR like the big models. Even more odd...that 500c appears to be the only model other than the 7000c and 9000c to use a spool sleeve! 8)

Correct, my fault...already modified it.  ;)

mo65

I snagged a 1300c on the cheap, probably because it was a mess. I decided to test my skills. Lately I've been taking the easy way out...buying near mint reels...those kind you wipe off the fingerprints and photograph. Not this time, this thing was real work. The inside was worse than the outside. I think I passed the challenge. ;D
   The first pic is what I started with...yikes! The second photo is the bearing. Did anyone else notice that the retainer is plastic on these? I thought it was a dust shield...popped it off and dang near lost all the balls! I don't know if this is a bad mark, I've seen other bearings from this time period with plastic retainers, and they seem to work just fine. :-\
   The third image is the nuggets all spit shined, and last we have the finished piece. I'm giving this reel to a friend for use as a bait gathering reel...tossing sabiki rigs for skip jacks.(river herring) He's gonna flip, since he really liked that 7250 RLA I gave to my brother. 8)

xjchad

You done good Mo!

Looking pretty now!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

festus

Quote from: mo65 on December 10, 2019, 07:24:26 PM
  I snagged a 1300c on the cheap, probably because it was a mess. I decided to test my skills. Lately I've been taking the easy way out...buying near mint reels...those kind you wipe off the fingerprints and photograph. Not this time, this thing was real work. The inside was worse than the outside. I think I passed the challenge. ;D
  The first pic is what I started with...yikes! The second photo is the bearing. Did anyone else notice that the retainer is plastic on these? I thought it was a dust shield...popped it off and dang near lost all the balls! I don't know if this is a bad mark, I've seen other bearings from this time period with plastic retainers, and they seem to work just fine. :-\
  The third image is the nuggets all spit shined, and last we have the finished piece. I'm giving this reel to a friend for use as a bait gathering reel...tossing sabiki rigs for skip jacks.(river herring) He's gonna flip, since he really liked that 7250 RLA I gave to my brother. 8)

Good job, Mo, other than a tiny spot or two with flaked off paint that reel looks new....I don't remember the bearing retainer being plastic but it probably was. I flushed the bearing in mine with WD40,  soaked it in Simple Green a couple hours in a jar, gave it a good shaking, gave it a good toothbrushing, rinsed it, spun it dry, then lubed it with Corrosion X.  It stayed intact so I guess everything is ok.  

Yep, these will make dandy skipjack reels.  Skipjack are much harder to come by since these local steam plants switched from burning coal to natural gas, and don't discharge hot water any more.  There is a bait shop that sells those for like 7 bucks apiece, and they aren't that big, maybe 10" to 12" On another note, you can buy live 7" to 9" rainbow trout at bait shops for 2 bucks apiece. Trout are popular muskie and striper bait 'round these parts.

foakes

Around the mid 1970's -- what I call "Corporate Marketing Engineering" became the new manufacturing technique for 90% of our fishing reels.

In another words --

If it doesn't show, seems smooth to the angler buying it at K-Mart, and can add a couple of quarters to the bottom line of each reel by substituting plastic shortcuts -- instead of old fashioned machined metals...

Balance out the lack of machined parts by making the reels more colorful, modern, and sharp looking to younger anglers.

The only good improvement was the skirted spools on spinners.

I wonder if a quality bearing could be substituted for the one with a plastic retainer?

These shortcuts in product quality are not limited to fishing reels.  It is built into nearly every product today.

I have been looking for a decent used lightweight travel trailer.  17' to 20'.  3000 pounds dry.  Aluminum welded frame and sidewalls, double axle, good layout for a couple, good kitchen, queen bed or Murphy, dry bath, just a basic unit that has not been used much -- in the $7K to $12K range, 3 to 10 years old, Winter Package.

We will keep the Six-Pac cabover camper for an all terrain vehicle and basecamp -- for more aggressive locations and conditions.

Looking at many of the manufacturers, it is easy to see how they get the weight down -- single axle, stick and staple construction using half the wood they did 15 years ago, smaller tanks, less options, much more plastics.

Whatever doesn't show -- doesn't matter...

That is why I like the vintage fishing reels that were manufactured when the companies and their workers took pride in turning out a product that would last multiple generations.

Daiwa is one of the better modern companies -- but still a long way from a Cardinal, DQ, Penn, Mitchell, Shakes, or ABU.

Just my observations and personal opinions.

Best,

Fred

And...Excellent write up, photos, and good job on that 1300C, Mike!  Looks like new.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Another reel back from the ashes, Mo.

Frank

philaroman

yet another fine restoration

wonder if that plastic is the type that melts in moderately aggressive solvents (_cetone, _ketone, etc.)

that would be a big minus in a bearing, but it's a common, easily-swapped Daiwa size -- correct?

swede 53

I replaced a gear set in a Japanese built 1300c this last year and it had an all metal bearing,i still had the old pinion gear and bearing sitting out so i had to check out the Korean 1300c i have and it has the same bearing as Mike's reel.                                                                                                                       I suppose the move to Korea and cheaper bearing go together.                                                                                                                                             
  i use these mainly on crappie rods where they work well for tossing small kastmasters and spinners.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

oc1

It looks like that plastic piece replaces both the bearing cage and the bearing shield.  Ingenious idea if it works.  But, it's also sort of the epitome of the stuff Fred is talking about.

Nice job Mo..... as usual.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: philaroman on December 11, 2019, 04:07:08 AM
Wonder if that plastic is the type that melts in moderately aggressive solvents (_cetone, _ketone, etc.)

I wondered also...so I didn't use my usual cleaning procedure.(a blast of Paslode tool cleaner) I just pumped oil through it to flush out any debris.

Quote from: swede 53 on December 11, 2019, 05:39:48 AM
I had to check out the Korean 1300c i have and it has the same bearing as Mike's reel. I suppose the move to Korea and cheaper bearing go together.

I'll admit at first the plastic retainer turned me off...but after pondering it...I'm less concerned. The balls are still riding on steel inner and outer races. The bearings that went to plastic races are the ones that probably suck. So far I've only experienced the retainer(ball cage) being plastic.

Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2019, 06:34:07 AM
It looks like that plastic piece replaces both the bearing cage and the bearing shield.  Ingenious idea if it works.
I'll have to admit it's very easy to remove and replace...I didn't even need my reading specs!

handyandy

nice write up and pictures thanks just so happens I have a 1300c or two maybe can't remember as I couldn't resist the price for them being old Japanese made daiwa's. That and the size is a good size reel for a lot of my fishing which is primarily river smallies, some lake large mouth, and the occasional surprise drum or catfish while smallie fishing. I'll have to get mine out of the box of numerous I need to go through reels I have. I'm bad about browsing the flea bay and buying cheap reels that appeal me which is pretty much anything european, japan, or american made.

Fred I hear you on the campers if you want quality ones it's hard to find without spending an arm and leg. The truck camper I have is an old starcraft pop up one, at some point I'd like to replace it with a pheonix or hallmark pop up since there the only couple companies making quality pop up truck campers that are more winter capable. As far as the trailers go I don't know I've never considered a trailer camper since anytime I camp I usually am dragging the boat, or a trailer with ATV's.