Which style 113 side plates for Tib frame?

Started by Toehi, September 27, 2019, 01:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

Randy from V.O.T. was kind enough to dig up 2 Hawaiian wide kits for me from Tiburon, frames in a rarer color to boot.  Which style side plates (old/new) would be a better choice to go with the frames (better fit)?  I still need to purchase a pair of parts 4/0's so I don't have to take any of my Broadbill's apart.  I told myself I'm done hotrodding reels but that didn't last long, lol!!

broadway

The new tib frames have a lip where the plates set in cleanly without the use of the inner trim rings.
That's up to you unless you already have a set of Tom's plates.  In that case just make sure you order the same (old/old or new/new).
Find out from Randy if the frames are the old or new style before ordering aftermarket otherwise it doesn't matter as long as you have a couple donor reels.
I like the new style better, personally but that's all up to the builder.
Best,
Dom

Toehi

Thanks for all the info!  I'll find out what style frames they are and go from there.

Cortez_Conversions

Hello Toehi,
If you could snap a pic of the frames, especially the sides, that will allow for positive ID on which plates you need. Randy should be able to let you know what style plates you need. BTW, I'm on vacation at the moment and have the cash register turned off for the website so you won't be able to purchase anything until next week.

Thank you,
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Toehi

Thanks Tom, I was browsing the site yesterday and saw the closed message. I'll get all the info on the frames so I know which plates I need.

Toehi

Ok, haven't posted a pic to a message board in ages:

Toehi

Yay!  It worked, lol. From the pics on Cortez's website it looks like the old style plates will work with the frames I have?

Toehi

RowdyW

That's the new style frame. The new style Cortez plates set into the frame.       Rudy

Toehi

Thanks for the info, I thought the newer frames didn't have the cut out for the lugs, got them mixed up.

Toehi

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Graham, those T4WEX frames are new style.  You need new style Cortez plates. If Tom does not have any, you can also use stock Penn made in the USA plates without the inner trim rings.

Good luck with your build!

Randy

broadway

Any time you don't see the trim (chrome) rings you know it's the new style.
Sweet color on that Tib frame.
Enjoy your build,
Dom

Toehi

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll just build these using stock plates and change them out when I get ahold of the aluminum side plates.