Boca 40 Bail question

Started by Recoil Rob, September 27, 2019, 02:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

The bail on my Boca 40 BSP40PTS(from about 10 years ago) was starting to not completely flip over when cranked. The bail is held in by two "C" clips, I removed it and found that the side with the roller has a magnetic insert that matches up with one on the rotor assembly. The magnet on the rotor has started to corrode, I cleaned it up and lubed it. There was also a "C" shaped washer, or what's left of it in there that isn't on the schematic. Looks like it was some sort of plastic with fiber backing. The fiber is gone so I out the plastic back and coated everything with Reel-X. Seems to work ok now.

Anyone familiar with this system and what that washer is?

thanks,

Rob
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

ourford

That's not a washer. It's a protective cover for the magnet. I guess they were glued on originally but they come off after a few years. As soon as the magnet is exposed, it starts to corrode. I cleaned one up well and coated it with clear nail polish, then a coat of grease. So far so good.
Vic

Recoil Rob

Circling back to this, I now need parts for this reel and Quantum/Zebco has none.

Is there a good source for older Quantum parts?

thanks,

Rob
   - Errol Flynn

ourford

I have a few parts. What do you need?
Vic

Porthos

Would suggest setting a Saved Search on eBay, and see if any "complete" reels eventually come up; if a decent condition unit gets listed, consider buying it as a parts reel. At some point (and it seems that has come to past), this may be the only way to get parts.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Recoil Rob

Sorry, I didn't get back here sooner, I didn't get a notification there were answers. Add that to a couple of kidney stones, ugh!

I took the bail apart today and compared it to the diagram that came with the reel. Turns out the washers I was looking for aren't even on the parts diagram, not unusual I suspect.

Here's the magnet on the rotor...

IMG_3424.JPG

Here's the magnet on the bail...

IMG_3425.JPG

And here's a plastic shield shaped just like the magnets.

IMG_3426.JPG

The washer that was destroyed was a complete circle and fit between the two magnets but I'm not sure which side of the washer the plastic shield goes.

For now I'm going to clean everything up, coat the magnets with enamel, light grease and go fishing.

I could buy a new bail assy for $35-40 but would still be missing washers and that's halfway to a new Daiwa BG.

Opinions and advice welcome though.

thanks,

Rob
   - Errol Flynn

JasonGotaProblem

I have some stuff. Nothing all that meaningful looking.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.