Grandpa's Senator 1/0 got serviced

Started by jon_elc, September 28, 2019, 12:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon_elc

dug this out of a garage cabinet drawer.  i don't think it's been used since the 1960s.  ordered some 6-60 washers from mysticparts and followed Alan's service tutorial on Senator 111.  found this beautiful handle in a box with rod clamps.  heh, check out the box (i just noticed right now when taking pics) !!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Great reel!

Excellent screwdriver...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Very cool reel, box and goodies, thanks for sharing!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Nice one Jon.  The 1/0 is one of my favorites.  It looks like Grandpa had at least four Penns and took the clamp off all of them.  Can't blame him a bit.  Those things are always awkward and uncomfortable if you're holding the rod.  I have yet to see a photo of a rod with the reel seat demolished because the reel was yanked off of it (without clamps).  Seems like a belt and suspenders thing.
-steve

Gfish

Cool, Jon. Good for Grandpa, sure wish more people would keep the box, accessories, and manual. I see $4.42 written on the box and $16.00 written on a sticker. Did your Grandpa buy it used? What kinda drag washers did it have?

Here's mine. I'm in the process of greasing and oiling everything for preservation as a shelfie. Came with leather drag washers. Darn, no manual. I'm pretty sure this one has never had line on it. The presence of part numbers means it is a post 1950 Penn.

Agree with Steve on the rod clamps, but only on the narrower Penns such as this one, the 2/0, Long Beach 60, Jigmaster 501, the extra narrow Jigmaster(P21 XN) that I have, etc. A narrow, larger Penn, such as a Sailfisher 130 or Mariner 349, i'd use a clamp.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Nice work on the 1/0s guys...good to see those reels still getting some love. I've spent a fortune narrowing and hot rodding Jigmasters while my little 1/0 sits there and laughs...it's actually the better choice for my fishing...some day I'll figure that out. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jon_elc

good eyes, guys!  i guess they were leather washers?  I also a found a Squidder 145 in that drawer.   Here's a story about my Grandpa for you guys.  I never knew him.  I was born after he passed. i heard some stories about his fishing days from my mom, like he used to take her perch fishing on the SF piers.

My grandpa had 4 girls, and they all had girls (up until he died).  My dad (his son in-law) sort of inherited some of his old fishing gear, when we sold grandma's house, as the only fisherman at that time (i was about 8, i think, fishing a little trout with my dad).  Now that you mention it, I seem to remember seeing some big-#### Senators, but we never used them. 

My dad mostly fished black bass and striped bass, so i imagine over the years he got rid of those larger reels, but kept these because (?).  I stopped fishing for many years (and started again this year) so i just started "inheritting" fishing gear from my mom's garage.   My mom found this pic of Grandpa with a striper (maybe in 1950s?)

Crow

You guys are making me envious , with those 1/0's...I've been "needing" one, but haven't found one that's "cheap enough to fit my reel budget", yet....maybe if I quit spending my "allowance" on 49's ???

That's a nice striper that "Gramps" has, too !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

jon_elc

oh and i forgot that i also found a little 920 Levelwind.   Here it is with the squidder 145

wfjord

Quote from: jon_elc on September 28, 2019, 03:56:01 PM
oh and i forgot that i also found a little 920 Levelwind.   Here it is with the squidder 145

Those are prizes, too! That's a beautiful 145.

Bill B

Your grand dad had good taste....good to see you saving them...now time to put them to use and show us some pictures of your catches....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

It's good to have reels with sentimental value.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Absolutely three of my favorites, and I don't own a 145...but several each 140 and 146 and I'd prefer 145's.