Heddon 246

Started by festus, September 29, 2019, 12:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've serviced over a dozen Heddons, and this one is engineered quite a bit differently than any I've previously encountered.  The shipping actually costs more than the reels on some of these buys.  This one had free shipping so I didn't mind paying a few bucks more.  It needed a good cosmetic cleanup, it had some battle scars but was pretty smooth as it came unboxed.

I've seen cleaner and I've seen dirtier, this one was somewhere in between.  This model has a removable transfer gear and an oscillating gear.

Removing the set screw to take out the axle and spool.

A look at what's under the main gear.

Here's that removable gear I mentioned earlier that attaches to the main shaft.

Removing the oscillating slider.

It appears it would be a good idea to remove that narrow bar that's held by two screws.

Most Heddons I've serviced don't have this oscillation gear.

A peep inside the rotor.

The rotor nut has regular right handed threads.

What a mess, but surprisingly the rotor spun very freely beforehand.

They didn't skimp on the pinion gear.

The ball bearing was functioning very well but it needed a good cleaning.

The bail tripped ok, but the bail arm and some other parts needed a good cleaning so I took these apart.

This one required a little more cleanup than the last couple Heddons I've worked on.  These have felt washers, but the drag seems to work ok for medium freshwater fishing.

No need to post pics of a complete reassembly, you've seen most of the innards already.  Penn grease is put to use.

This 246 is a medium sized freshwater reel, weighs 13.3 oz, and would probably perform its best with 10 lb. mono.  It's smoother than some of these non-ball bearing Heddons, but not quite up to snuff with the Heddon 248 in my opinion.  There is practically no information out there on these reels.  The Heddon 251 might be a big brother to this 246. Only information I have is the 251 is a large reel and is convertible as is the 246, and they look similar in online photos.  The 234 might be a little brother to this 246, again, looks very similar in online photos. Maybe we'll get these Heddons sorted out one of these days.  There are a couple more on my wish list.

happyhooker

Nice look.

That rotor grease-mess would make a Frenchman loose his lunch.

What purpose did that narrow bar inside the gearcase serve?

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on September 29, 2019, 01:55:18 AM
Nice look.

That rotor grease-mess would make a Frenchman loose his lunch.

What purpose did that narrow bar inside the gearcase serve?

Frank
Frank, only thing I can figure is to hold the slider steady. 

Midway Tommy

Nice run through, Chester. Clearly, those Heddons have gotten your attention!  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

Nice job with the report !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ProfT

Thank you for the walk-through of the Heddon 246. It was delightful and at the same time scary for me, a novice. I'm new to this world of reel repair and yesterday dug some old rods and reels out of my backyard shed that's in bad repair. One of the reels my dad gave me over 60 years ago and I've just been able to identify it as a Heddon Spin Pal 240, which I haven't used in about 30 years and needs "restoring." I have no idea where to begin work on it nor what tools and supplies to gather together before starting -- any suggestions? Books? Schematics? Greases/oils? Sources for parts lists?

I also have a Heddon 246 Convertible. So is there any way to get an enlarged view of that exploded view of the parts? I'd like to get both reels cleaned up and usable for my grandson who turns five in October.

mo65

Quote from: ProfT on August 11, 2020, 09:58:22 PM
I have no idea where to begin work on it nor what tools and supplies to gather together before starting -- any suggestions? Books? Schematics? Greases/oils? Sources for parts lists? So is there any way to get an enlarged view of that exploded view of the parts?

You'll need quality grease and oil, some decent tools, and this schematic should help also. Click on the photo to enlarge the schematic. Take your time, place the parts on the table in order, and take pics of the disassembly as you go. With Chester's tutorial, the schematic, and some patience you'll do fine. 8)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28048.msg328414#msg328414
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: ProfT on August 11, 2020, 09:58:22 PM
One of the reels my dad gave me over 60 years ago and I've just been able to identify it as a Heddon Spin Pal 240, which I haven't used in about 30 years and needs "restoring." I have no idea where to begin work on it nor what tools and supplies to gather together before starting -- any suggestions? Books? Schematics? Greases/oils? Sources for parts lists?

Don't use any of the green Daisy/Heddon tutorials as an absolute guide for the 240. The 240 was US made and introduced in 1954. It has nothing in common with Japanese made Heddons of the '60s. I don't think anyone has done a tutorial on any of the US made Heddons. The take apart process is somewhat similar on a good share of the earlier open face spinners so do a little reading & studying, make sure you have a camera to take photos at every step and dive in. If you run into a problem just ask. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction as they are not that complicated.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

ProfT

Thanks for the information about the 240 and for all your help. It seems logical to take off all the external corrosion first so I don't get any of it in the internal parts. What have you found that works best to remove the corrosion?

Midway Tommy

Depends on the type of corrosion and where it's at. Painted surfaces can be tough because if you get too aggressive the paint will peel. Sometimes I just scrape it off of tight areas. Other times soaking in vinegar or sanding will work. Posting a couple of photos will help determine the attack methods. At least you don't have to deal with bails & bail springs with the 240.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

Greetings, ProfT, from Minnesota.

Several members on the site have knowledge of Heddon reels.  You know about a few of them from the previous posts on the 246.  Best of luck working on your reels, and let us know if we can help in anyway.

Frank

ProfT

Frank --
     Thank you. I'm at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to fishing reels of any type, just used it, rinsed it off, and put it away. Never thought about it needing maintenance, like a car does. Well, I've learned the hard way that if a person takes care of tools, they'll take care of you. So I'm starting with my first two reels, a Heddon 240 and a Heddon 246. I'm excited about getting them both working, assuming if they need any parts that those parts would be available.

Fir off, I want to clean the 240 because it's in the worst shape, but am uncertain about what is best to clean it with -- toothbrush and soap (like Dawn?) or tothbrush and WD-40? What would you use to clean off the corrosion?

happyhooker

On removing corrosion, I like Midway Tommy's advice.  Scraping can be metal tools, or for more gentle, edged wooden or plastic.  A brass wire brush is handy on unpainted surfaces.

Frank