Under main gear delrin washer for okuma komodo 364 & penn torque 25 sd

Started by Weekendwarior, September 29, 2019, 01:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekendwarior

Greetings fellow fisherman! Need your help please if anyone know who can make and
sell delrin washer for penn torque sd and okuma komodo 364 also a set of tld 15/30 carbontex drag washer oversea (
South East Asia). TIA for your help & God bless You all.

alantani

i know several people use delrin, but i still prefer carbon fiber.  for the tld stars, i believe that smoothdrag.com will ship overseas.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Weekendwarior

Quote from: alantani on September 29, 2019, 03:18:30 AM
i know several people use delrin, but i still prefer carbon fiber.  for the tld stars, i believe that smoothdrag.com will ship overseas.
Thanks for your respon Alan ☺ I just curious about the delrin washer and need to try it out by myself. Thats why i want to compare between delrin and carbontex on my tackle before changing every under maingear washer to carbontex or delrin.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Weekendwarior on September 29, 2019, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 29, 2019, 03:18:30 AM
Thanks for your respon Alan ☺ I just curious about the delrin washer and need to try it out by myself. Thats why i want to compare between delrin and carbontex on my tackle before changing every under maingear washer to carbontex or delrin.

That is always the best option.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

On the TLD star, I found that Delrin allowed for the smoothest drag, and carbon fiber allowed for a bit higher max usable drag.  I had to cut my own Delrin, as Sal had just introduced the idea,  but  precut washers are now available for some reel models from Smooth Drag.

For the Komodo,  I believe that Okuma uses a large phenolic washer with lots of grease (the grease itself becomes the friction surface instead of the washer material).  The large diameter helps create a flat surface for the main gear to turn on. I would expect less of a benefit swapping out the undergear washer on this reel.

The Komodo uses eared dogs, which means that the undergear washer must provide enough gap to ensure that the ears do not get stuck.  Any replacement washer would have to have the proper thickness.   I would be more hesitant to use carbon fiber in this situation unless I really needed more drag, and could find a carbon fiber washer of the correct thickness.   Not a lot of choices in carbon fiber drag washer material, so you would have to be a bit lucky here.

For the Komodo, I would be surprised if there were aftermarket  carbon fiber or Delrin undergear  washers.  They are not too hard to make if you can find stock of the right thickness, and have access to the appropriate tools. If you find a seller, double check the thickness against the stock part.

I stuck with stock on my Komodo 471.  The one drag customization that I would like to make would be something to provide more clamping force with less turns of the star. At least on my reel, it nearly has to be bottomed out to get into some decent drag.  Most of the travel in the star is wasted.  I have not looked into this yet.

Post your results, so we all can learn from your experiments!

-J

Weekendwarior

Thanks for the kindwords Sal and thanks for the good info about okuma komodo J. Now i can save some $$ and only focus on torque and tld. After i tested the delrin & carbontex for around 50 decent fish i'll report what i feel about carbontex & delrin for under main gear washer.

Bryan Young

I, personally use greased carbon fiber under gear washers because I don't know what type of fishing the person will use the reel.  Delrin has a thermal index of 150-180 deg. C. If the reel will be used where fish take a long run, such a bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, marlin, they I would not hesitate to use greased carbon fiber drag washers for an under gear washer. If the reel will be predominantly used for yellow tail, the Delrin would likely be best, as an example. All my reels have greased carbon fiber because I never know what I'll hook up to.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 30, 2019, 03:02:50 AM
I, personally use greased carbon fiber under gear washers because I don't know what type of fishing the person will use the reel.  Delrin has a thermal index of 150-180 deg. C. If the reel will be used where fish take a long run, such a bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, marlin, they I would not hesitate to use greased carbon fiber drag washers for an under gear washer. If the reel will be predominantly used for yellow tail, the Delrin would likely be best, as an example. All my reels have greased carbon fiber because I never know what I'll hook up to.

Are you sure about those Delrin numbers?  Delrin melting temp is around 180C.

I am also not sure what "thermal index" means in this context.    I believe that the general recommendation for Delrin max sustained operation temp:  180F (not C).    For short  term, I think it is 220F, but I could be mis-remembering.   Also, the temp alone is not enough to judge,  you need to look at compressive yield at a given temperature.  I.e. how much force it takes to squish the Delrin at a specific temp.  Lots of good data here: https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-andresins/thermoplastics/documents/Delrin/Delrin%20Design%20Guide%20Mod%203.pdf.  BTW,  It is possible to roughly estimate the compressive load for a given drag setting on a given reel.

Delrin is a thermoplastic  (can be re-melted while maintaining its properties), so this type of heat exposure should not be a serious factor in terms of long term durability.
---------
There are a couple schools of thought on what material makes the best undergear washer, and which reel models will shred or get along with carbon fiber.  We have had several good discussions on both the theoretical aspects and real world results.  A site search will yield lots of data for folks that like lots of data :)

-J

Bryan Young

Quote from: jurelometer on September 30, 2019, 06:11:25 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on September 30, 2019, 03:02:50 AM

Are you sure about those Delrin numbers?  Delrin melting temp is around 180C.

I am also not sure what "thermal index" means in this context.    I believe that the general recommendation for Delrin max sustained operation temp:  180F (not C).    For short  term, I think it is 220F, but I could be mis-remembering.   Also, the temp alone is not enough to judge,  you need to look at compressive yield at a given temperature.  I.e. how much force it takes to squish the Delrin at a specific temp.  Lots of good data here: https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-andresins/thermoplastics/documents/Delrin/Delrin%20Design%20Guide%20Mod%203.pdf.  BTW,  It is possible to roughly estimate the compressive load for a given drag setting on a given reel.

Delrin is a thermoplastic  (can be re-melted while maintaining its properties), so this type of heat exposure should not be a serious factor in terms of long term durability.
---------
There are a couple schools of thought on what material makes the best undergear washer, and which reel models will shred or get along with carbon fiber.  We have had several good discussions on both the theoretical aspects and real world results.  A site search will yield lots of data for folks that like lots of data :)

-J

Oops. That's degrees F and degrees C.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

As delrin washers are flat, you can order many extra washers, they will fit into a normal postage envelope to keep postage at a minimum, also a good idea to have a delrin washer under your star, that make the star easier to turn, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Weekendwarior

Thanks for the info Bryan and Donny. Now i got better info about delrin before contact smooth drag for final decision  ;D
Nice and knowledgeable people like all of you make this site awesome. Thank you very much everyone!

Bryan Young