dam quick 330n

Started by Blader, October 01, 2019, 12:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blader

Hello all I have a dam quick 330n that's a oldie but gold to me. I'm posting this post for hopefully some help with a problem that I'm having with my bail spring. What happens is when I open the bail the spring keeps popping out of the small hole in arm. The spring has been changed once before with a used one,so I'm sure that even though it looks pretty good it's time for a new one which I was able to find online and it's on its way. I've tried numerous times to bend the end so as it wont pop out but no luck.ive also noticed that when it was working both the big screws would back out and cause issues I did use a bit of blue loctite to hold them which works....Is there a proper set up quide for the bail spring and bail....it seems simple enough to me but for some reason I can't get it.....thanks in advance. I've only been on the site for a bit looks very interesting with lots of topics

foakes

Hi & Welcome aboard, Blader --

Few things it could be -- all pretty simple, although not always intuitive.

First, the bail spring should be new & crisp.

The top leg on the bail spring should bend slightly backwards against the direction of the cocked open bail.

The bail spring should always be installed into the spring cup and then the angle lever attached -- with the bail wire removed -- with no tension on the spring -- inserting the upward spring leg into the small hole -- then attach the bail screw -- and test for proper smooth operation without any catching -- and without the bail bearing screw backing out.

If this works -- you are done.  However, when attaching the bail arm back to the angle lever -- sometimes the bail wire needs to be bent slightly so that there is no lateral or sideways pressure inhibiting the smooth action of the bail return.

Two more things --

When tightening the hex nut and lock washer to the bail wire and angle lever -- sometimes it is useful to make sure the bail wire does not slightly twist when torqing down the hex nut.

Lastly, the bail screw, angle lever, and the spring cup on the rotor -- all need to be smooth and free working -- with no wear or gouges.

The tolerances on these DQ's are so exacting -- that perhaps a worn spring, improper spring, worn screw hole threads, or just wear over the years could cause some of your issues.

If this is the case, the last remedy is a tiny, thin brass spacer between the bail screw and the spring rotor cup will sometimes do the trick.

Loctite should never be needed.  It should all work properly with the correct parts and installation.

I always use one drop of oil on each side of the rotor -- and another drop of oil where each of the two bail screws interact to reduce friction.

Let us know how you do -- and we are here to help in any way.

All the best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Welcome, Blader !! There's lots to read, and learn, here....enjoy !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Welcome, Blader, from Minnesota, USA.  Lots of DAM Quick fans here.

Frank

Blader

Thanks for all your help the bail spring that I replaced before was a used one that I could only find on eBay a few years back. I do believe that it must be the issue I've tried to bend the end of it a few times to try to prevent it from coming out of the hole in lever arm. It does work for a bit but then pops out, I've even drilled another small 1/8 hole in arm front of original it does work but eventually still pops out. I did notice in your pic of the spring the angle of end of spring, so I re bent the end of spring and inserted into my new hole. Im curious as to how tight the 2 screws have to be for arm lever and other side of bail spring. Im attaching a pic of the arm side with the screw fully tightened  as you can see theres a bit of space in there on side of lever arm and I can see the bail spring tip so Its a matter of time that the main screw moves a bit and hence the spring end pops out. I've tried to put a washer in between arm and where spring is but then the space is too much I did only try regular washer although I haven't tried a brass one. So I think that when my new spring comes in Ill go from there and see where Im at thanks again

mo65

Quote from: Blader on October 01, 2019, 06:44:27 PM
Im curious as to how tight the 2 screws have to be for arm lever and other side of bail spring. Im attaching a pic of the arm side with the screw fully tightened  as you can see theres a bit of space in there on side of lever arm and I can see the bail spring tip so Its a matter of time that the main screw moves a bit and hence the spring end pops out.

It looks to me like you need to tweak the bail so the lever arm sits flush on top of the rotor. It appears to have been bent or twisted a bit causing it to sit so crooked...I've ran into this before. Those screws are meant to be a loose fit, even fully tightened, so the bail doesn't bind. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Blader

Ok thanks Im not sure how to get the arm to sit flat as maybe the spring is too long and its pushing on the arm. The spring only has a bend in the end that fits into arm. I would take a pic of it but Ive seemed to got it working right now so I dont want to take it apart... Im waiting for new spring to come ....

festus

Hi Blader, welcoming you from East Tennessee.

In the last couple years I've dealt with maybe 3 dozen D-A-M Quicks, and I agree with Mo65, looks like your angle lever(aka bail arm aka lever arm) is bent.  

Only other thing that's causing the problem is maybe you have an incorrect spring for the model.

Dominick

Good eye on that one.  Love the help on this site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Blader

I tried to bend the bail spring, and its a bit straighter, it does work but then the big screw that holds lever arm starts to loosen, on its own after a few tries. The arm lever itself isnt bent it just looks that way on pic. Theres play between the lever arm and the base of the reel,it must be caused by the spring pushing on lever I just wish that I could put something in there to hold it straight. I know for sure this is whats causing the spring to pop out of hole in lever arm after a few tries. Thanks :o

Blader

Thanks all again I just re bent the bail wire and I've managed to tighten up the gap between lever arm and rotor, so looks like the wire was pushing too hard on the lever arm causing it to get crooked. Its working good now Ill keep a eye on it and once new spring comes in Ill change it. Just wondering though how to stop both screws from backing out on their own, or  perhaps this was being caused by overtension of the bail spring...... :)

Midway Tommy

You still have a little too much angle on the bail arm. Any space between the rotor spring cavity and bail arm should be equal all the way around the rotor spring cavity. Simply tightening down the bail arm screw as tight as it will possibly go should prevent it from ever loosening when opening & closing the bail. You need to adjust, i.e. bend, the bail more, a little at a time, until there is absolutely no friction against the rotor &/or the bail arm. Remove the bail and spring and make the adjustments, without the bail spring installed, until they all line up perfectly. Then install the bail spring to see if every thing still lines up. If not, go through the process again, and again, until it fits correctly. Proper bail fit and alignment is one of the most important items for proper bail operation, and even proper line lay.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

My method on these when restoring to as new --

Clean up the angle lever -- offside bail attachment -- and both bail screws with a good solvent such as lacquer thinner or lighter fluid.  Just let them soak overnight.

Then I use a 3" burnishing wheel on one of the bench grinders to smooth out any burrs or gouges.

Also, bend the bail wire a little more -- until the angle lever is square to the spring housing -- and so that there is absolutely no lateral pressure from the bail wire against the angle lever.

Reinstall, oil, and adjust.

It is also a good idea to inspect the bail spring cup on the rotor -- as well as the threads on opposite sides that the bail/bearing screws thread into.  Could be that the  chromed over brass screws are worn, the threads in the aluminum rotor head, or both.  But the bail wire is the likely culprit here.  Over the years -- they get slightly out of kilter and distorted with transporting and use.

I would recommend just waiting for the new bail spring -- then install it -- and see how it works before going any further.

Good figuring out on this fine old reel!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Blader

Hello all long time no talk its been a bit. I once again am in need of help since my last post my reel has been working fine until the other day my spring broke. I had a spare in fishing box and I changed it but it keeps popping out of hole in lever arm when I tension it up. Ive tried many times and I cant get it to stay without coming out. I noticed inside screw thread on outside some wear I guess the spring was wearing on it. I made up a new spring before so I'm not sure if its exactly right. Ive tried to bend the bail wire so as to minimize pressure on it so it will sit as flat as possible on rotor. It looks to me like there should be a thin washer inbetween rotor and spring to help keep it in there? Thanks in advance

oldmanjoe

Your spring is the problem .   The tail is at 6 o clock and the arm tail should be at 9 o clock.   Your`s is at 2 o clock , so when you put tension on yours you are turning it almost 360 degrees and there for over tension the spring.   So it wants to pop out .
      When the tail is at 9 o clock you are only turning the arm 90 degrees and have all the spring tension that is needed.
  Compare pictures  ,  second picture is the arm sitting neutral " NO spring pressure ,  3 picture it is loaded with bail wire on.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare