Shakespeare Wondercast Model 1777 Spincaster

Started by xjchad, October 01, 2019, 06:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

My cousin sent me a box of old reels that he was given knowing I'd have fun with all the grungyness  ;D 
There were a couple of Penn 209's and a 285 Del Mar, a Heddon 205-R, a Mitchell 300, and this push button Shakespeare Wondercast Model 1777.
The others went in my bin for another day, but I couldn't stop playing with the spincaster.  It reminded me of my first rod and reel that my uncle bought me, a plastic push button reel on a fiberglass rod.  I know these aren't high performance pieces, but for panfish and small trout they are a blast.  Then there's the nostalgia factor of course!  This model is date coded EG which I believe means the model was started in 1964.  It's older than the one I had in the late 70's early 80's, but better built also.

Here's a few pics before cleaning it up.

Pretty grungy on the inside.

I completely disassembled it and cleaned it up with Dawn detergent and lacquer thinner. 

(I got excited and forgot to take pictures of the first few reassembly steps  :D )
The drag is just the main cap pressing the spool against this felt washer (which I oiled to make it smoother).

Once the spool is in place, the winding assembly with shaft slides on and then the washer and pinion gear.

Then the spring, washer, cotter pin are installed on the shaft.  The left side plate and push button are installed after that.

Then the right side plate with the main gear and AR can be screwed in place and the main cap screwed on.
All done.

I love seeing the "MADE IN USA"  ;D
Some of you may have noticed that the handle knob looks different and vaguely familiar...
It's the factory knob from my South Bend Classic 935.  The original knob had disintegrated and so I had to improvise. 

I can't wait to try this out on some panfish or trout!  Just need to find an old 60's rod to pair it up with so I can spool it with some 6 lb. mono and go fish it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Chad, that 935 knob rocks that reel! I did this same thing a few years back, I put one of these Wondercasts on a mint unused original glass Wonderod. I fished it a few times for a "throwback" experience. You can see from the pics I even went with period correct lures...it was a lot of fun! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Thanks guys!

Mo, gorgeous work as always!  That rod and plug is a perfect match with the reel, love it!  I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a similar rod  :)

festus

Thanks for the pics, Chad.  You've inspired me to service this Shakespeare 1797 I got in a box of assorted reels from ebay a few months ago. These are solidly built reels, even the thumb lever you press to release the spool is made of metal.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chad! Those darn Shakespeare plastic knobs from that era sure had a tendency to melt and freeze to the post. Seems like Shakespeare and Langley both had problems with that issue during that time frame. It must have had something to do with the type of plastic they used. Usually the posts have some green corrosion on them, too.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Nice pics & write up; no need to apologize for a classic spincaster like this one.  We're unlikely to ever see anything made new like that again from the factory.

Some of those old Shaky spincasters had felt pieces inside the bell (main cap) that pressed against the rotor to provide drag as you tightened the bell on; they tend to fall out over time or get busted up; not sure if the 1777 had these or not (maybe only the felt washer you pointed out).

I was gonna say that the pinion gear looks a little rocky, but on closer look, it's probably just the grease you put on it as part of your overhaul.

Frank

xjchad

Quote from: happyhooker on October 02, 2019, 01:25:53 AM
Nice pics & write up; no need to apologize for a classic spincaster like this one.  We're unlikely to ever see anything made new like that again from the factory.

Some of those old Shaky spincasters had felt pieces inside the bell (main cap) that pressed against the rotor to provide drag as you tightened the bell on; they tend to fall out over time or get busted up; not sure if the 1777 had these or not (maybe only the felt washer you pointed out).

I was gonna say that the pinion gear looks a little rocky, but on closer look, it's probably just the grease you put on it as part of your overhaul.

Frank

Thanks Frank!

You have a keen eye!
The pinion gear is a little rocky  :D  In the pic below you can see the wear on it.  This reel was fished a lot!
The main gear looked great, and I don't have a replacement pinion, so I greased it well and wished it luck  ;D

The bell does have the large felt washer as well and I did oil that one also.

oc1

If you're of the age, it's impossible to look at one of those without harkening back.
-steve