(JDM) Daiwa Sealine No. 25

Started by B0b, October 02, 2019, 06:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B0b

Hi guys, i was on vacation to southeast asia the last few weeks and while browsing a few tackle shops, i came across a collection of use vintage reels.  i saw a reel that really caught my eye. and it got me intrigued.  the diawa sealine no. 25.  i soon found out that this reel is a japanese model from about 40 years ago.  theres an abundance of reels from the japanese market in southeast asia.  they get a lot of stuff we do not get in the states.

for about $13 usd, i had to have it.  i was more interested in the size of it, perfect palm size, and the design was something out of the ordinary.  it had 3 levers.  1 for the clicker, one of the main gear, and 1 for the reverse (why? i dont know)  but the level wind mechanism did not seem to work.  i thought it was just a part that could be replaced.  for 13 bucks ill take my chances.

so i took apart the clicker side and indeed, the cog/idler gear (plastic) was shaved down. probably to poor maintenance, or the owner didnt know how to properly use the reel.  everything else seems to be in very good condition.  looks like the materials used to build this reel was of good grade and quality.  in the pictures below, i have taken measurements of the gear that is bad, in hopes to be able to find a replacement.  i hope some members on here can help me see if there are any domestic models use the same size gear for a quick replacement.  i cant seem to find any information other than this: http://blog.livedoor.jp/jetmaster/archives/1067252920.html

B0b

reel

B0b

gear

day0ne

Quote from: B0b on October 02, 2019, 06:40:47 PM

so i took apart the clicker side and indeed, the cog/idler gear (plastic) was shaved down. probably to poor maintenance, or the owner didnt know how to properly use the reel. 

That gear is meant to be a self destruct point in case something (or someone) gets caught in the level wind.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Porthos

Quote from: B0b on October 02, 2019, 06:45:09 PM
gear

Going to bet that a JDM factory original replacement may now be only stocked in the Land of Unobtainium, and they don't ship.

Counting 19T on the smaller gear...doesn't seem standard.

1st inclination for experimentation:

• see if a 18T or 20T gear (to replace the top one) for remote control toys can be found that might work.
  • see if a match for the larger gear can be found
  • if necessary, redrill the axle holes of both to fit onto the sideplate
  • align and epoxy the two gears together

After the epoxy cures, dry-fit and test. If the cleaned up worm gear and line guide function without any significant issues and appear to be within proper alignment with the spool, then a judgement call must be made whether to drill two holes (180 degrees of each other) that go through both gears for inserting custom-cut pins for added support that will keep the gears in position with each other in case the epoxy bond fails.

YMMV...good luck.