Heddon 260-R

Started by festus, October 02, 2019, 10:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

These Heddon 260 caught my eye over a year ago watching a video tutorial on YouTube by the repairman up in Jersey.  Several have come and gone through ebay, but they were either in bad shape cosmetically or overpriced.  Got a deal on this one, I'm fairly sure it's never been used or even had line spooled on it.

Step 1, remove handle by cranking clockwise.

These Heddons have removable side plates on both sides.

The screws on the non-handle side are shorter than the three on the other side.

These Heddons with two removable sideplates seem to be built stronger internally than the others with only one sideplate.

The oscillation slide is attached to the axle with two Phillips head screws with lockwashers.

A 14mm nut with regular threads fastens the rotor to the pinion gear.

The whatchamacallit washer on top of the spool cap washer isn't listed in the parts list on the schematic. I'll call it the spider washer.

It's clean enough inside the rotor cup, so there's no need to take any of the bail assembly apart.  A good wipedown with orange scented Purple Power is good enough.

Here's a look underneath the rotor.  I'm always happy to see a ball bearing secured with something other than those stubborn snap rings.

Servicing a reel with perfectly functioning anti-reverse and bail assembly sure saves quite a few steps.  No point in taking a chance destroying a perfectly good bail spring by taking it out when it's clean already. I've had that happen a couple times.

This reel has a complete 6 stack drag.  The schematic says otherwise.  Schematic shows only one metal washers and one thick feltish type of washer.

A toothbrush, Simple Green and orange Purple Power were sufficient for cleanup. 

Clean, repacked ball bearing is secured with a collar.  Neither piece is shown on the schematic.

Always a good idea to grease the bail trip nut.

This tube of Ardent Reel Butter serviced its fair share of old reels, both spinning and baitcasting. 

Repairing one of these reels is so simple even a cave man could do it.

Picture of the innards is much clearer with the old grease gone.  Most Heddons have a similar design, but this model, the 233, 248, and 277 are sturdier in my opinion.

Button her up and she's ready.

Reattaching the handle.

Almost forgot the lubrication cap.

These reels retailed for $23.95.  Store price is marked $12.95, which sounds about right for that era.  This reel is most likely over 50 years old, maybe built in 1966 or 1967.  The manual has an order form for a 1967 Heddon catalog for 25 cents.   There are some online Field and Stream catalogs from the late 1960s and the 1970s, but I've never seen these reels advertised.  Heddon lures, yes, Heddon reels, no.  It pays to be patient, this reel was only 20 bucks plus shipping.

These reels weigh 18.34 oz on my scales.   The spool appears to be the same size as that on my Heddon 277, so it probably has a line capacity of around 200 yards of 15 lb. test mono. Would do very well for catfish, freshwater drum, carp, and stripers from 10 to 15 lbs or so, and maybe light surf fishing.  This one probably won't be fished, I'll probably use my 277 which is built maybe just a wee bit stronger.

Crow

Another very good report, Festus !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

This schematic for a Heddon 260-R/L was in the reel's instruction and parts booklet.  But this schematic doesn't match up with my reel, which is a Heddon 260-R.  So apparently there were three models, the 260-R, 260-L, and the 260-R/L.

mo65

Quote from: festus on October 02, 2019, 10:37:27 PM
Picture of the innards is much clearer with the old grease gone.  Most Heddons have a similar design, but this model, the 233, 248, and 277 are sturdier in my opinion.

I agree...this particular design is one of the stronger Heddon build styles. Excellent tutorial Chester! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Another super Heddon report.. Really enjoy looking at/reading.  Thanks for the effort.

Frank