what modifications for g454-f reel?

Started by spoons, October 03, 2019, 04:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoons

What are the options to narrow a G454-F reel?  Or should I just restore it and fish it as is?  I recently was gifted this reel.

I'm a San Diego fisherman looking to utilize this reel in my local fishery arsenal.  I don't do party boats or sport boats.  I fish off my own boat fishing for anything within day range.

I have enough troll rods and reels so a reel this wide isn't really needed.

I don't have a flat fall or yo-yo jig reel
I also don't have many 30-40lb line class live bait reels.

Your guys' advice is greatly appreciated.

Puhi

If the reel has no sentimental value,  then you can always trade it for a 440 or 447, maybe even a 533 or 540.
Or you can be on the lookout for the parts to go down in side, 440/447, frame, spool...ect.
Great reels mone the less.

Bryan Young

Hi Spoon,

There are narrow options available.  The kit is known as the Newell 522 and 533N.  Essentially, it's a narrow kit for Newell 400/500 series that takes the side plates and places them an a new spool and frame the same width as a Penn Squidded 146.  There were made by Jerry Downie (522) and Tiburon (533N).  You might want to contact Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore Tackle to see if he has any kits remaining. You can see the Tiburon kit at https://www.fishingunited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16136.

Good luck in locating a kit.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I have a Tiburon 533NK cobalt blue frame and black spool $115 delivered. PM me if you want it.

Dwight

r8rs4lf

I narrowed a 440 with that Tiburon kit and Bryan's side plates.

Sadly, now it's too nice to fish! ;D

Yogi_fish808

Do you have pictures of the reel and a general idea of its conition, ss clicker, etc? I may have something to trade you. I have a nice G440 with black tiburon frame. It has the more sought after stainless clicker w/ the graphite spool and p series ss jack lever. Let me know if you'd consider the trade.

spoons

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on October 04, 2019, 11:36:09 PM
Do you have pictures of the reel and a general idea of its conition, ss clicker, etc? I may have something to trade you. I have a nice G440 with black tiburon frame. It has the more sought after stainless clicker w/ the graphite spool and p series ss jack lever. Let me know if you'd consider the trade.

Yes, i can snap pictures later if you'd like or i can email you. Let me know what your email is.

I just replaced all the stainless drag washers, Belleville washer and handle washers. Added some cals  drag grease to the drag washers as well.  It freespools great.

Yogi_fish808

My email is yogibearies@gmail.com I'll get some pics of the g440 for you too. The reel wasn't fished much since its last service but I'll open her up and double check that everything is good to go. It also has carbon drags greased with Cal's.