A Different Penn 12/0

Started by Maxed Out, October 04, 2019, 09:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

I'm having a hard time imagining someone winching on a big fish with this skinny little knob. It must be a garage made version
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

::)..... :o......Nice score, Ted ! I'm sure somebody will trade you!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

54bullseye

Kinda like this old piece of crap !!   John Taylor

1badf350

Yea they are pretty junky.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

In all seriousness thats a great score Ted. Really nice condition. Congratulations
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

You guys are killing me !!.... but nothing wrong with playing 3rd fiddle  ;)

John, that is one sweet combo you have. Those 1st year 12/0's are not easy find. Mine has front lugs, so possibly late 37 or '38

I have one question.... How come none of my penn wrenches fit the scalloped nut on the handle ?? It's too big for any of my wrenches.

Have either of you guys ever tried putting a wrench on that handle nut ??

broadway

Funny you said that, Ted.  I've had the same problem. There is a wrench that fits it. I only have one of them out of all the wrenches I have.
That is one sweet score! Love those pencil handles but sure wouldn't wanna winch on a grouper with one, none the less a Swordfish.
Enjoy her bro,
Dom
Ps- I use a ratchet as opposed to an aftermarket wrench so as not to damage that nut.

54bullseye

Chris yours must be a first year to not having front lugs. Your reel is really nice plus the box is what I like I only have two Light house boxes a 4/0 and a 16/0 would love to fill in the middle LOL !! No easy feat. I still need a few first gen Senators to complete my line up as well. I need a 10/0 and a 16/0 holy grail !! Any one have a nice 16/0 double hanging around ?  Lol 
I would be happy with any of these 12/0s !    John Taylor

Cuttyhunker

Hey Max, slide me a C note and I'll take that Yugo off your hands.  This is just the way Gramps put away his '37.  I have learned the conversion to the torpedo handle was common on these old girls that were fished.  Sadly the box and original handle are lost to time.
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Dom,
This one from Mystic fits mine.  About 8 bucks American
Doomed from childhood

Dominick

Where do you guys find these?  I am not so lucky.  It's a beaut Ted.  Congratulations.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

It seems the earliest 12/0 had only top lugs. Take a close look at those early 12/0 top lugs.....they are obviously lugs from the 9/0, and do not come out far enough to cover the cutout in the chrome ring. The earliest 12/0 top lugs, compared to the 1938 top lugs has obvious differences. Also, the front lugs on my 12/0 are those same 9/0 lugs, and they do not fill the cutout in the ring.