Daiwa Fuego LT 3000D (spinning reel) and carbontex drag washer sizing

Started by jplee3, October 06, 2019, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplee3

Hey all,

The stock drag washers on the Fuego LT 3000D have an inner diameter of 13.50mm~ or so. I contacted Dawn at Smoothdrags and was inquiring about getting a set of carbontex for that. I also measured out the drags in my Ardent Finesse 2000 and the closest custom set I could find for the Ardent was #16A which has an inner diameter is 5.4mm~ - turns out the outer diameter is the same between both those reels @ 22.7mm. Dawn said I can use the 16A drag washers in the Fuego LT 3000D as well.

My question is: does the amount of material have an impact on the drag performance and rating? Obviously the 16A set will have *more* material compared to the standard 3000D set, even though both will fit the Fuego. I'm just curious if it's recommended using drag washers that fit in the compartment but have a smaller I.D. - the metal washers on the Fuego have an I.D. of around 4.3mm~ so the 16A set would definitely fit. There's also the 16B set which looks like a closer match to the stock Fuego drag sizes.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on October 06, 2019, 06:59:00 PM
this might help!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0

Thanks! Should I stick with drag washers that are the same dimensions or close to the existing ones of the Fuego in that case? Any benefit to going with drag washers that have a smaller I.D.? I'm not worried about finding ones that fit...just curious more about any differences in performance etc between ones with the same O.D. but different I.D.s

alantani

these drag washers are completely captured and can't really travel anywhere, so the fit does not have to be exact. 

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on October 06, 2019, 07:40:56 PM
these drag washers are completely captured and can't really travel anywhere, so the fit does not have to be exact.  

I was asking more about the amount of surface area of carbon fiber material. The stock sized drag washers have a larger inner diameter so less material - would the carbontex drags with a smaller I.D. hole perform any 'better' because there's more material?

alantani

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on October 06, 2019, 08:32:42 PM
that is true, but the differences are barely noticeable. 

Ah ok thanks. Ill stick with the stock sized replacements in that case.