Penn oiler port - "grease" then "lubrication"

Started by AC49, October 06, 2019, 05:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC49

Hi All

Does anyone know when the Penn reel headplate oiler nipple changed from "grease" to "lubrication" ??
This was brought up on another forum group by a guy called Chris Poe (not sure if he is on this site)

Regards
AC49

Crow

I was pondering the same question. The 1938, 49 that I posted on the "as you find'em thread," is marked "lubricant", while the 1940 / 41 posted a little later, is marked "Grease". In checking my other 49's, *most* say Grease, but one (a later "Super Mariner") says nothing at all ! My "best guess" is that some molds (including the first issue)were marked Lubricant, while others...made as production "ramped up" were marked Grease. And, obviously, there was at least one mold that was not marked, at all ! When time permits, I'll check all my 49's for markings.....as to "dating" them, I'm mostly relying on what folks , here on the site, are telling me. I have 3 that have the "open" stand (but different handles, and various states of "part #'s, or no part #'s")
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Deepennz

Hi Alan,
I just checked all my #49's (20 all up!!) and there are 3 with 'lubricant' all the rest, from 1938 until mid fifties have 'grease'.
The 3 with lubricant are all late '50's/early 60's. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Martin

milne

Interesting, I'm sure it's noted down somewhere.
But, just looking at all my reels, I would estimate 54-55.
That's only going off my reels that I can date with boxes.
My coloured monofils have lubricate, as does my anniversary senator boxes, which is 57.
But another senator box I date to 54, has grease.
I'm sure I read it in Mikes book somewhere........

Col

broadway

Yep, this has been gone over a couple years back.  If I'm not mistaken the ports said both (hit or miss what it was going to say) going back to the first gen 9/0, but for sure this has been gone over.
In regards to the 49 specifically, that was not gone over and I have no idea, but Martin seems to have enough 49's to supply a head boat so he would be a good gauge. ;)
Wish the search was a little easier to navigate, but maybe someone can find it with enough time.
Thanks
Dom