New Shimano Baitrunner 8000D -

Started by 34venture, March 10, 2012, 05:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34venture

I just picked up a pair of 8000D's.  Before I use it, can anyone recommend some easy quick hit recommendations that will improve performance or minimize corrosion. 

Thanks

alantani

all of the bearings have to be packed with grease, replace the drag washers with greased carbon fiber, and brush a light coat of grease onto all the non-exposed metal surfaces.  baitrunners can be a bear to work on!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

34venture

Thanks Alan.  I'll take a shot at those simple improvements.  Don't want to take the entire reel apart --- just don't have confidence that I could get it back together.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Nor do I.  I love using spinners, but servicing...there's a Japanese word that say it most...Kirai (嫌い)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

phishxxii

I have a question I got a Baitrunner 8000d to look at. I checked the spool and all the washers are present. Yet when the drag knob is tightened all the way down I can still turn the spool with effort. I took the spool off to see if the shaft turns with a pliers on it and it doesn`t. That leads me to believe there`s something wrong with the spool. There is braided line on the spool. Don`t know if there is a backing. Any advice?

oc1

Shimano specs say the maximum drag on those is two pounds.  You may be getting more than that if it takes a lot of effort to turn the spool by hand.  Try checking the drag with a scale.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

The Baitrunner 8000d should produce 20lbs of drag. The drag washers (iirc) are Dartanium II - carbon fibre - clean and a light grease coating would help with smoothness. If you can easily turn the spool by hand I would check the drag stack. 20lb drag on a spinner should not turn easily unless you're superman. I personally wouldn't use one of these for fishing in the salt - stripping and cleaning a baitrunner is a PITA - certainly above my pay grade.

philaroman

CAVEAT: I only know older models...

check for rotor height adjustment washer(s) under the A/R Assembly
sometimes one/more get left out & the rotor sits lower
then, you need fewer spool washers for even line lay
then, everything seems to look & work fine, BUT...
the drag knob bottoms out before you get to MAX

P.S., on older models I can do a reasonable half-service, without disturbing the Baitrunner mechanism...
I can handle it -- I just don't want to, LOL

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on October 02, 2019, 07:26:57 AM
Shimano specs say the maximum drag on those is two pounds.  You may be getting more than that if it takes a lot of effort to turn the spool by hand.  Try checking the drag with a scale.
-steve

You're talkin bout the spool drag, or the baitrunner tension?

I think if you really wanted some good spinning reel service practice, a beat-up(parts reel) Baitrunner would be ideal.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!