Dates for the 2020 trip - Oct. 2 to Oct. 10, 2020

Started by alantani, October 07, 2019, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

My 10 day is from 9/27  - 10/7 so maybe I'll see you guys out there... I've seen the SoA on my 10 day before!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

stoked4fishin

Hey Mark
Would be cool to say hey across the rail!  Hopefully I can get on from the wait list!

erichardson2000

Are there any open spots yet? I went two years ago with the group and I am dying to return! Let me know !

Eric

alantani

there are not.  we have a number of veterans returning from previous years.  i will get you on the standby list.  even that one is getting long.  i'll keep you posted!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

R46chevy

Just a question...With people having to fly in for the trip what precautions should you take while on the plane? I was trying to get someone to get on a plane to help me work on my house and was trying to figure out what the best was to do?
Hope everyone is staying safe
Ed

SoCalAngler

Darn,

I would like to fish with you guys but it looks like we have conflicting schedules as usual. I'm setting up a Mag Bay trip in mid to late October depending on the others schedules. We will Fly to Loreto stay at my place there some time, hit Mag Bay 2-3 days and return to Loerto and fly out.

Covid depending of course with the boarder crossings.

lil-man-1

Hello there Alan,
End of October would have worked a little better for me ( a few more weeks to recover ). But October 2nd to the 10th will work just fine..   looking forward to fishing with all you guys.

V/R
Tomas

alantani

I'm just glad to see that you are up and around!!!⁰
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

What does the bait situation look like this year?  

The return date sucks, I would rather loose my first BFT on my B-day than return to port.... ;D

It's getting close.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

:( Unfortunately, I am out...

...wife said that even if she agrees to me going, I WILL need to quarantine for 2 weeks afterwards. Three weeks+ away from all household responsibilities exceeds any brownie points that I may have or now any point in the near future.

Hopefully, things calm down and I can get back on for 2021.

Jimmer

I am out also. I will be driving my wife to Madison for radiation treatments following her recent (and successful) breast cancer surgery. The covid alone would probably be reason enough to miss this year with the travel involved, but hopefully we will have a vaccine and be past that for 2021. Have a great trip everyone!  -  Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tommyd

Hey Wai,
If you're on a boat with 24 folks for 8 days that seems like a quarantine in itself! If nobody is sick or gets sick on the trip you and all of us have already quarantined for the majority of you wifes requirement. The incubation period is usually quite a bit less than 14 days in any case. Lauren and I are very sad you won't be able to go this year. Sure hope we get to go!!!!

jurelometer

Quote from: tommyd on September 09, 2020, 12:33:51 AM
Hey Wai,
If you're on a boat with 24 folks for 8 days that seems like a quarantine in itself! If nobody is sick or gets sick on the trip you and all of us have already quarantined for the majority of you wifes requirement. The incubation period is usually quite a bit less than 14 days in any case. Lauren and I are very sad you won't be able to go this year. Sure hope we get to go!!!!

Good point. 

This is different than most situations where  people choose to  engage in a high risk activity.  In most situations, your choice increases the risk of infecting others in your household and community without their consent.  In this case, you will have greatly improved odds (but not 100%)  of knowing if you need to quarantine and test before you hit the dock, and can decrease this risk. 

But please make an informed decision on your own personal risk.  We are in an unusual situation nowadays.  Discussing the best available scientific evidence is considered by many (including some folks here) to be a political statement.  So I am biting my tongue.  But I feel I have an obligation to say the following (Caveat:  I am not a medical professional - so do your own research):

I think that it is pretty cut and dry that any epidemiologist would consider a long range trip a high risk activity, where many, if not most of the passengers will become infected if an unknowingly contagious passenger boards.  There are several anecdotal stories of outbreaks on long range trips on web forums.  I could not find any comment from the operations or landings confirming or denying.  It is hard to tell how much weight to put on unconfirmed web posts, but no outbreaks at all seems a bit unlikely.  You could always call the landing directly and ask if you want more data.

You need to consider not only the risk of dying from this bug (pretty low but but significant if you are not in a high risk group, and can get pretty high if you are in the wrong risk group), but also the risk of significant residual damage from the infection and immune response.  The experts are still wrestling with the numbers of how many, how bad, and how permanent, but it is not looking pretty.

I am not telling you what scientific evidence to believe, or what decision to make.  Just trying to contribute to an informed decision.   

I doubt that any of this will add to my popularity here, but I feel it is my obligation to speak up.  I have found that I have taken a liking to  all of you knuckleheads :)

For those of you that have chosen to go,  I sincerely hope you have a safe trip. 

-J

Keta

Quote from: jurelometer on September 09, 2020, 03:04:31 AM
I doubt that any of this will add to my popularity here, but I feel it is my obligation to speak up.  I have found that I have taken a liking to  all of you knuckleheads :)

For those of you that have chosen to go,  I sincerely hope you have a safe trip. 

-J

As long as we play by the rules we have the right to our own opinions and should not have to keep quiet.  But no politics.

Mark Twain