Long Beach 60 Gear Ratio

Started by nelz, October 07, 2019, 07:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Is there a replacement gear set that will speed up a Long Beach 60? Perhaps from another model?

RowdyW

None I ever heard of. You are better off picking up a used reel that is about the size of your 60 but has a gear ratio you are looking for. You could look for or build a Jigmaster 501 or 99/500. They will have a 4.0:1 ratio.        Rudy

Maxed Out

...I'll echo what Rudy said....not a faster gear set for a long beach 60

.....but there is an alternative. A late model Penn seaboy 185 or 190 with graphite side plates. These are clones to long beach 60 & 65, but with higher gear ratio. Some have 3.2 gear ratio, and some have 3.5. Very capable and affordable on the big auction site

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 08, 2019, 08:53:31 PM
  There is an alternative. A late model Penn seaboy 185 or 190 with graphite side plates.

Good Grief Ted...why didn't I think of this? I even put one of these together
recently, for bay boat fishin'. It really is a hot rod LB 60/65. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

I built one extra wide with a 3/0 spool and jiggy 500 seat and posts. Super smooth and very tight tolerance would easily allow for fishing light mono line

Glad I could refresh your memory Mo. I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned the SeaBoy(AKA lb60 & 65), cause I know you'd been down that road
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

Oh well, guess I'll just leave it at 2.5:1 ratio. I own plenty of faster/better reels, the last thing I need is another reel!  ::)
The thing is, I picked up this very nice LB60 for $3, I couldn't pass that up!
  ;D

mo65

Quote from: nelz on October 08, 2019, 09:30:42 PM
The last thing I need is another reel!  ::)

You can never...and I repeat...never...have too many reels. At least that's what I keep tellin' myself... 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on October 09, 2019, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: nelz on October 08, 2019, 09:30:42 PMThe last thing I need is another reel!  ::)
You can never...and I repeat...never...have too many reels. At least that's what I keep tellin' myself... 8)

Apparently that's what came over me when I saw this one for $3. She was all tangled up with old line behind the spool, and in need of a good cleaning, but I just had to have her.  ::)

Lingwendil

I'm not a fan of non-levelwind reels, but I would have picked that up for 3$ without hesitation  :)

Gorgeous reel.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Normslanding

The 60 is a great bottom fishing reel for things like Grouper and Snapper. I have 3 on the boat for guests.

RowdyW

Quote from: Normslanding on December 05, 2019, 09:03:24 PM
The 60 is a great bottom fishing reel for things like Grouper and Snapper. I have 3 on the boat for guests.
You must have some pretty small Groupers & Snappers where you are.       Rudy

tristan

Quote from: nelz on October 09, 2019, 07:04:23 PM
Quote from: mo65 on October 09, 2019, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: nelz on October 08, 2019, 09:30:42 PMThe last thing I need is another reel!  ::)

Apparently that's what came over me when I saw this one for $3. She was all tangled up with old line behind the spool, and in need of a good cleaning, but I just had to have her.  ::)

Well, YEAH!

;)

If I had come across that deal, my back pocket would have been in danger of being torn off.    ;D