Heddon 215

Started by festus, October 08, 2019, 08:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This Heddon 215 was serviced several months ago.  Since the reel is so simple and what some would consider a toy, I didn't post the details.  After thinking about it, perhaps it might help a novice to reel repair, especially a young person with no confidence acquiring one of these reels.

Spool has been taken off and removing last screw on the cover plate.

Removing shaft pin from the oscillation slide makes it possible to take out the axle.

A look inside at the main gear and pinion gear.  It was very clean inside, but it was obvious from the smell it had been recently greased with Vaseline, which isn't recommended.   

This is a 12mm rotor washer with left hand threads.

There are two spool cap washers, one inside the rotor and one underneath.

A look at the bail wire.  The bail is functioning very well, so I see no reason to remove it.

The second spool cap washer sets on the pinion.

Removing the pinion, which is made from cheaper metal than on some of Heddon's better reels.

A look inside the housing someone had left very clean.

A look at the main gear shaft which appears to be stainless steel.

These parts were easily cleaned with Simple Green with a rinse of water and allowed to dry.

Oiling the felt washer.

A look at the bottom of the spool and the metal click tongue.

Reassembling the lubed main gear.

Reassembling the lubed pinion gear.

Fastening the rotor to the pinion gear and main housing.

A look at the reassembled main gear, pinion gear, axle, oscillation block and shaft pin.

Buttoning up the cover plate.

These reels are advertised with a line capacity of 175 yds of 6 lb. mono.  However, the spool has a diameter almost as wide as a Mitchell 300. It would be a good model to spool up with 8 or 10 lb mono and pass it on to a child who's first learning to use a spinner. These weigh 6 oz, thought to be the lightest reel in Heddon's arsenal.   

Crow

Good job on the break-down ! I'm going to have to be on the look-out for one of those ! Just what I need for "crick fishin'"
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: Crow on October 08, 2019, 08:30:27 PM
Good job on the break-down ! I'm going to have to be on the look-out for one of those ! Just what I need for "crick fishin'"
This little Heddon is lots better than my first couple of spinners.  My first spinner was the Zebco 707 and second was one of those brown Daiwas that cost less than 2 bucks at Heck's Dept. Store.

happyhooker

Nice look; good pics; always enjoy a trip to Heddonism.

Frank

TRS

Very nice,
I really appreciate your posts, it has helped me a lot in learning about the internals of spinning reels.
They call it fishing, not catching

Crow

Darn it ! 1/2 hour after reading your post, and seeing the pix....I own one !!! ::)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: Crow on October 08, 2019, 10:24:30 PM
Darn it ! 1/2 hour after reading your post, and seeing the pix....I own one !!! ::)
Good buy.  These reels are fine for light fishing.

BTW, I'd been following a Heddon baitcaster a few days and noticed it brought $130 on ebay this morning.

Ruffy

Very Heddonistic of you Frank  ;D

Quote from: happyhooker on October 08, 2019, 09:20:43 PM
Nice look; good pics; always enjoy a trip to Heddonism.

Frank

BocaSnook1

Thank you for the great post.  I have a friend that has the same Heddon model as you.  He can now perform a rebuild with confidence.

Tad

Crow

My 215 arrived today, so, I "snuck away" from the real work....to do a "bit" of reel work ! I intended on stripping it down, and putting the parts to "soak" in some soap solution.....and found it was in rally "clean" condition, inside....what grease there was, appeared to be quite "recent". One BIG snag developed when I removed the line from the spool.......the seller *neglected" to mention that the spool was broken ! Probably, he didn't mention it because he had *repaired* it.....not sure what he used for glue, but, it didn't work ! Anyway, the reel parts are "soaking", I scraped off as much of the "glue" as possible, and "re glued" using a gel type upper Glue (and primer), and after things set up , I'll need to do some "sanding" in the area of the break. I think it will be "good enough for who it's for", as I plan on 4# line, and considering the size of the fish I usually catch...there won't be much *strain* on it :D. I'm guessing it would be wise to do a few wraps of dacron, first....unless I have better luck smoothing out the area of the break, than I THINK I'll have. It won't take much to "knick" that light mono !

Midway Tommy

You best send it back to the seller, or, if the price was really right, find a new spool. There is no glue that will hold the face of a plastic spool on even under minimal stress. The only way to make a lasting repair when the face pops of is to glue it so it fits perfectly and then pin it, if there is enough clearance on the bottom and between the face and drag nut. Guaranteed, the face will pop off when you least expect or want it to. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

I don't doubt that you are correct ! The "price was right", and it came on a sweet little ice rod (not that I intend on using ANY of my ice fishing gear...ever again ! Since I discovered the Gulf Coast in winter...that's where I want to be ! ;)), so, I'll keep it. I'm thinking there *may* be enough clearance room to "bolt" the two halves together, with some small screws. If I use "flat heads" , so the heads don't interfere with the drag adjustment knob, and situate the "nuts", so they fall in the recessed areas on the "bottom side" of the spool....it may work. I'll probably only fish it a few times, anyway...mostly be another "shelf reel". I do like to fish everything I've "collected", at least once....just to see "how they do", and to make sure everything works.

festus

At first glance I thought that was an oddball two piece spool. The Heddon 234 has the only two piece spool I've run across. The little 215 is more of a toy anyway, but I imagine a skilled angler could ignore the drag settings and play a good size fish by backreeling.

foakes

Just fit and function checked this on a 215, Crow --

Works perfect, clicker in place.

Yours if you want it, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Thanks !!   Beats the heck of trying to "patch" one !  PM sent.