need to find clamp screws "odd size " for a Penn Int 50s

Started by steelfish, September 23, 2019, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I have a penn Int 50s that sold to a friend, it just needed the clamp kit screws, etc to be ready and complete.
so, I thought, no problem I will get them later for you.

so, I ordered the ones on the schematic of the 50s, no avail, the hole on the bottom of the frame was bigger than the screw diameter, no big deal I contacted Maureen and explained, she toldme  that some model use different sizes, so I ordered the only other size of screw clamps, it was worst, the screw diamete was thinner  :o, then I started to worry.
contacted again Maureen and she told me that there are more option, that it must be a drilled out screw and tappered again for bigger screws, but now I dont know where to get the screws for the clamp.

the hole is 10/32 (in the pic reads 19/64) while the stock clamp screw diameter is 1/4, I tried with a 3/8 (if I recall) worm screw from the hardware store and it fit correctly.

now I need a screw that has the diameter of 10/32 in the base but the rest thinner (1/4" I suppose) to accept the stock clamp and nuts.
does anyone knows if that kind of screw exists for any other reel model?

before I have to go "Mcgiver" and create a screw clamp with the nuts/screw/wing nuts from the hardware store I wanted to ask here first.

The Baja Guy

RowdyW

It seems that the hole is 5/16 but I can't tell if it is fine or coarse thread (probably coarse). Then again it could be metric. What you need is a reducer bushing to reduce the hole from 5/16" to 1/4". The first thing is to be sure what the thread in the frame is.      Rudy

steelfish

hmm never though about a reducer.

I will check the exact size of the screw for the tappered hole, now that you say 5/16, it might be a more common size like 3/8 coarse thread, if thats the case it wont be that difficult to find a 3/8 male to 1/4 female reducer.

I will take the reel to the local hardware store  ;D ;D

muchas gracias Rudy

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, what clamp do you have? May be easier to cut heads off SS machine screws to fit and use acorn or nylock nuts. will cost about 2.50.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on September 24, 2019, 01:00:28 AM
Alex, what clamp do you have? May be easier to cut heads off SS machine screws to fit and use acorn or nylock nuts. will cost about 2.50.

I have a regular metal 114h clamp, its supposed to fit several models, including Intls 50s reel.

the problem would be to find a SS machine screw that fits locally, the town its just too small as well as the hardware store
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

I doubt that it is a 3/8" thread. 5/16 is also a very common size thread. If it is a 5/16" thread then you can get ss threaded studs or ss all thread rod & file out the holes in the clamp to fit the larger size thread & use larger nuts or wing nuts.