Mak 20 drag curve question

Started by yota924x4, October 09, 2019, 01:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yota924x4

Basically i have a 10 sea with a 50lb topshot and the drag is set to roughly 15lb strike which gets me 20lbs at full which seems like a good range for 50lb...

Now on my new mak 20 i put on spectra and 80lb mono and the drag numbers are all over the place. If i set it at strike at 18lb at full it is well over 30lb. If i set it at full at 25lb it is leas than 10lb at strike. Best guess..   Bellevilles, bad cam?  I guess i may have to send this one back to the mothership

alantani

the mak 20 is a 100 pound line class reel.  you're looking for 30 pounds at strike and 50 pounds at full.  that's 100 pound braid and a 100 pound fluoro topshot.  the mak 16 is an 80 pound reel.  there is really not a good 60 pound reel in the makaira line.  that's why i went with the penn international 12 vsx and 12 visx. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yota924x4

Wow that is kind of disappointing. I was hoping to have it dialed in at 18-20lb at strike at the mid 20's at full but i guess that isn't even possible.

Why do they even list the mono capacity on the side of the box if you can't set the drag to fish it? I guess im a little sad i have never seen a reel more than double the drag going from strike to full.

Keta

Quote from: yota924x4 on October 09, 2019, 12:23:38 PM
i have never seen a reel more than double the drag going from strike to full.

That is not necessarily a bad thing.  If you know your reel and can control your urge to go to full you can put a mark on the spot you get the "full" drag you want.  Or you can sell or trade the 20 for a smaller reel.  

I am impressed with my 16SEa but have not fished it yet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

if you are using braid and a 60 pound topshot, then it's 18-20 pounds at strike.  if you would, set it there, then push the lever to full and measure the drag again and let us know how much drag you get.  you should get about 30.

if you are using braid and an 80 pound topshot, then set the drag to 25 pounds at strike.  whey you push it to full, you should get somewhere around 40 pounds. 

so, a 10% variation would not be unexpected.  just a couple of thousandths of an inch could do that.  but what we are hoping for is a 30% drag setting at strike and a 50% drag setting at full.  the reels were designed to deliver these extended drag ranges. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yota924x4

Thanks. I've always set strike to 25-33% on my smaller lever drags and on my avets and a saltist L/D i guess the cams aren't as agressive on the top end.  You guys must have some rebar in your back braces and i hope my rod doesn't explode..

Thanks again for clarification

yota924x4

I played with it some more tonight. I set it at strike to 18-19lb and at full i picked up 38lbs of weight off the floor (drag scale only goes to 25lbs) so it is over 38lbs at full...

If i set it to 30lbs at full i only get 10-11 at strike. 25 at full is only 5lb at strike

I think i am going to order a new cam and try to  reprofile this one.

MarkT

Quote from: alantani on October 09, 2019, 02:41:19 AM
the mak 20 is a 100 pound line class reel.  you're looking for 30 pounds at strike and 50 pounds at full.  that's 100 pound braid and a 100 pound fluoro topshot.  the mak 16 is an 80 pound reel.  there is really not a good 60 pound reel in the makaira line.  that's why i went with the penn international 12 vsx and 12 visx. 

The Mak 15T looks to be a good 60# reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

yota924x4

I reprofiled the cam to my liking it is far more linear now. I have it set at 19lbs at strike and 26lbs at full.

redsetta

Would love to see a pic of your re-profiling work Yota.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer