eBay parts frustration

Started by TRS, October 09, 2019, 08:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRS

Lately the last few times I ordered parts on eBay my luck has been terrible. This time I found a reasonable price (abt$14.00) for a Mitchell 300 bail, screws and two bail springs, I even ordered some additional bail springs.

Well what arrived looked a little different, and the screws were both the same size, but I thought it might just be an updated part.   It was an updated part in a way, it was for an updated reel the 300a and the bail springs were the same thinner, less springy " modern" NOS parts I had recieved from another seller, has any else ran into these less springy, thinner bail springs?? Of course the extra bail springs I bought were missing, I know after the appropriate hoop jumping thing will be made right but it's still frustrating.

So I guess it's back to watching for cheap/parts reels, and hoping for the best.

They call it fishing, not catching

alantani

my struggles lately have been with eReplacementParts.com.  they take money for parts they do not have, then tell me that the part is on backorder.  total BS...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Often times --

On eBay -- we are dealing with folks who just do not know the differences in reel parts -- they think that Mitchell 300's are all the same.  Not realizing or caring that there may be 12 or more versions over a 40 year period.

Then you pay your money, shipping, and fees, wait for the parts -- and they are wrong.  It is a waste of time, shipping costs, money, and effort.

I received your PM -- just let me know what is needed -- and I will send it out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: alantani on October 09, 2019, 08:26:01 PM
my struggles lately have been with eReplacementParts.com.  they take money for parts they do not have, then tell me that the part is on backorder.  total BS...... 

Alan, they have done that for a few years, now. Seems they have to wait until they get a shipment from oversea, etc. It may take a month or two, maybe longer, but I have always gotten any, and every, thing I have ever ordered from them. I think they're great, but a little pricey at times. I only buy from them parts I can't get elsewhere, i.e. mainly daBay.

QuoteSo I guess it's back to watching for cheap/parts reels, and hoping for the best.

The best assurance one is going to get the correct part is to be able to recognize exactly what parts one wants to purchase and only buy from those that are showing pics of the exact part they're selling. IMHO the buyer needs to know as much or more than the person selling. It's kind of similar to some advice my uncle, a very successful home builder & multiple businesses man, gave me early on in my work management and business career regarding rooting out loyalty and the unscrupulous players: "Never ask a serious business related question unless you know the answer before you ask. You will quickly find out exactly who you can trust." Knowledge is the key to real success. 

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TRS

Alan
I too would be frustrated, if it's backordered say so up front and give the customer the option to buy or not, any other way kind of seems like your using my money to float your inventory costs.

Tommy
I couldn't agree more, not having much experience on anything other than fly reels I try to check, recheck and ask questions. Your uncle was spot on, another one I used pass on to subordinates is you get what you inspect, not what you expect.  This time was really frustrating because what was pictured was not what was sent, and since I had already gotten wimpy springs once, I asked and was assured these were NOS,  sadly they were the same. I have read several posts on other boards about people getting thinner less springy ones, I guess somebody's importing a cheap replica of the auctual spring.

They call it fishing, not catching

day0ne

The thing I hate about ebay is they are now (as of 10/01) charging sales tax in TX
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

mo65

Quote from: day0ne on October 10, 2019, 05:56:13 AM
The thing I hate about ebay is they are now (as of 10/01) charging sales tax in TX

Yes...I'm getting taxed now too...here in the buckeye state. :(
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on October 10, 2019, 10:01:31 AM
Quote from: day0ne on October 10, 2019, 05:56:13 AM

Yes...I'm getting taxed now too...here in the buckeye state. :(

NE passed their law, any remote seller that sells over $100K per year in NE must collect & remit sales tax, Jan 1 effective May 1. 5.5% doesn't seem like a whole lot but I'm sick of taxes and wasteful government spending. I now only purchase necessity parts & supplies that are quite a bit cheaper off of eBay & other online sellers. It pretty much ended my online used reel purchases.  :( Sort of seems like double jeopardy to me.  ;) Pretty soon states will require garage sales, flea markets, etc. to collect & remit sales taxes.  ::) It really irks me that eBay decided to give sellers a break and collect and remit the sales taxes for them.  >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)