The Heddon 283

Started by mo65, October 10, 2019, 11:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's another one from Heddon's "Top of Line" series, this is the intermediate size model. Although I rated the 282 a B+ on the B-Grade thread...this 283 is getting a big fat A...even though it too has the cast alloy main. It has features to protect the softer gear, like a forward mounted anti-reverse, a double ball bearing supported main, and a fantastic drag system.
   Popping off the side plate the first thing I see is that fantastically simple yet effective cam ring, indicated by the yellow arrow. This model also has a shim behind the plate side bearing.

This is where it starts to get good. The smaller reels from this series have a single ball bearing supporting one side of the main...and nothing on the other...not even a brass sleeve! This model has ball bearings on both sides, very solid!

I tried something new to flush out the bearings this time. Sal has praised this Paslode spray cleaner, and he's right, it rocks! I gave each bearing just a few squirts and the gunk ran right out. The bearings quickly evaporated dry and spun very well.

The bail barely moved, it needed a good scrubbing for sure.

Your trusty little Penn wrench works great for not buggering these bail screws.

The spool is metal. The spool sleeve is metal. The drag click is metal. Nice...I had a feeling the drag stack was going to be interesting.

Wow! It does look impressive. This is no Mitchell though, it takes more than a coin to open this reel. Two heavy duty clip rings hold the drag stack at top and bottom.

When laying out the drag stack for a pic I had to back off to get it all in the frame. At first I though it looked like overkill, but it's just a really involved 3-stack. The spool shaft is in the position where the spool would be in the photo. This stack order appears to be correct as far as the schematic, but two washers are out of place in my book. The second washer from the left is brass...rubbing against the spool...that ain't good. The last washer is a red fiber, in a position that doesn't spin, below the spring washer. The brass washer belongs on the bottom, and the red fiber washer belongs on top of the spool. Now all friction surfaces are fiber on metal, not metal on metal, and the system works very well.

If you wanted to use carbon fiber drags, Penn's #6-155 is a close match, and they fit into the spool without trimming.

I wanted to try something before swapping to carbon fiber. I lightly sanded the burnt surface from the stock leather drags and then oiled them. I think what makes these old leather drags chatter so bad is that burning. When burned the leather becomes smooth as glass, sticks to the metal washers like glue, and chatters when cranked down hard.

The finished reel...not as minty as my 282...but this one has some of that wonderful "character". I used Penn Blue on the gears and cam ring, CorrosionX HD on the bearings, and mink oil on the leather drags. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Top of the Line I reckon!  Strongest looking Heddon I've seen yet.  Makes me wonder how much these reels were retailing for back in the day.  I remember seeing these on the shelves brand new at the Oak Ridge Sporting Goods during my late teens. 

Heddon had some interesting drag stacks.  Never thought I'd see that arrangement. Some of the lower end drags consist of one thick felt washer about 1/8" thick and one metal washer.

So these Top of the Line were the cream of the crop.  Going down one level would be the Heddon Deluxe Pal series, the 233, 248, and 277, which are also quality products. 

Crow

Thanks for lifting the hood on it, Mo !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Interesting reel; dandy breakdown on overhaul details; a winner, Mo.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)