bottom conventional reel help

Started by squatchbobo, October 10, 2019, 11:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squatchbobo

First off I'm new to conventional reels. I've been doing research trying to find the right conventional for me which has to be left handed. My budget is $300. Also of course a reel that will last me quite a long time. The reel will be used on the bottom and on piers/heavy structure so i need to be able to pull out  big reds big snook and grouper, and probably spooled with 50-65 braid. I currently only know one option which is a Penn Senator 4/0 left hand. Avets look nice but many people online say they just fall apart while others say they last for decade(s)? Any help on this decision would be nice  :-\

RowdyW

Welcome to the family.You can't beat a 113H "Special" Senator (red plate model). It's not the same as a 113 4/0 Senator (black plates). Easy to service, tough, & durable. Like a Timex watch, "it keeps on ticking" If you need bigger you can step up to a 114H. With the money saved you will be able to purchase a rod to go with it.          Rudy

Bill B

What Rudy said.....might be tough finding a LH version though, but money well spent if you do....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

akfish

Avet reels do not just fall a part! They are all metal, so if you fish them a while without rinsing them, you'll end up with corrosion. But they won't fall apart. If you clean and service them, they'll last a very long time. Like all lever drag reels, if you push the drag beyond specs, you'll fry the pinion bearing. But used correctly and serviced as necessary, they'll last a long tie and catch fish.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

oc1

I think a 4/0 is overkill for the largest reds and snook.  OK for really big jewfish but overkill for normal grouper.  If you're bottom fishing from a pier you might want something that is a little easier to cast than a 4/0.  Something jigmaster or squidder size perhaps.  They have enough power and will hold all the 50-65 lb braid you need for the task.
-steve