Where to find hard/dense EVA foam to make reel knobs

Started by jurelometer, October 10, 2019, 11:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

I want to play around with making a larger lightweight fly reel knob for winding tuna.   I haven't been able to find a source for the extra-hard, high density foam that is used for reel knobs.  Does anybody have an idea on where I can get my hands on some, especially in smaller quantities?

-J.

Tiddlerbasher

I have used bicycle handlebar grips like this from Amazon/Ebay. Just being a pair ensures small and cheap quantities.
The only problem is quality varies alot  :(

This particular colour closely matches the Tiburon electric blue anodising.

jurelometer

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 11, 2019, 10:30:33 AM
I have used bicycle handlebar grips like this from Amazon/Ebay. Just being a pair ensures small and cheap quantities.
The only problem is quality varies alot  :(

Thanks!

The hole is too large for my purposes.   Is the hardness the same as commercially made reel knobs?

Still looking...

-J

philaroman

maybe, grips for hiking/wading staffs
the really hi-tech, expensive, collapsible ones

Tiddlerbasher

As I said the quality varies - good - bad - indifferent :-\
But it's a cheap option to try ;)

Fishy247

I might have some scraps floating around. I'll check when I get home. I can send some to you to see what magic you can work with it if you like.

Mike

Fishy247

I've got a 2" chunk of eva that might work for you. The ID is 3/8". OD is 1 1/4". If you want it, shoot me a pm with your address and I'll send it to you.

jurelometer

Quote from: Fishy247 on October 13, 2019, 02:48:24 PM
I've got a 2" chunk of eva that might work for you. The ID is 3/8". OD is 1 1/4". If you want it, shoot me a pm with your address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks for the generous offer Mike, but I need something solid or with a hole no greater than 1/4 inch.

Update:   I tried making one with the hardest EVA fishing rod grip material that I could find, but it was still too soft.   

-J

broadway

I would ask Maxed Out, Ted, he might be able to help you source some.
Best,
Dom

oldmanjoe

This may help
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Density-Roller-18-inches-Speckled/dp/B07BH1PSW1/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0u

You could also build up a existing knob or wood form with sheet craft foam and contac cement.
    I made a cover for one of my handles that had chunks missing with 3 mm foam with several colors.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

hmmm...  cover up undesirable existing knobs w/ better surface material, you say?

now, what would stick to old Shimano Septon(?), that's gone "gummy"  ???

jurelometer

Thanks for all the ideas folks.   The 2 lb psi craft foam is not hard or dense enough.   The hardest rod handle foam I could find was Batson's.  the stuff is so hard that it won't stretch over the blank  and  has to be reamed, but it is still not hard enough for my purposes.

By looking at his photos, it appears that Max was using eva rod handle foam for knobs, at least at first.  There was a comment about switching from eva to foam,   which was confusing, as the eva stuff is also a foam.  Maybe he meant polyethylene or polypropylene foam?

It might be easier  to just turn down an existing aftermarket hard foam reel knob.  I am only making one or two.

Quote from: philaroman on October 14, 2019, 10:31:46 PM

hmmm...  cover up undesirable existing knobs w/ better surface material, you say?

now, what would stick to old Shimano Septon(?), that's gone "gummy"  ???

My guess is  that those hard rubbery knobs that go gummy  are made from a urethane compound.  Some chemical (sunblock?, repellent?,  degreaser/solvent?) changed the molecular structure on the surface into something a bit gooey ( I.e., not tightly bonded), which means that even if you could  find a compound that could adhere to the surface layer, the surface layer is not well bonded to the rest of the knob.  I think that you are out of luck unless there is a magic chemical that will transform the molecular structure on the surface back to something non-gooey.  This seems unlikely.

I would ask Shimano what causes the knobs to go gummy, and whether it is covered under warranty.

-J

oc1

I'm not sure what you're after, but Divinycell foam from the boat-builder supply is hard enough that you cannot compress it with your fingers.  You could probably mark it with your fingernail though.  The high density one is about 16 lbs/cu.ft.
http://www.diabgroup.com/en-GB/Products-and-services/Core-Material/Divinycell-H
-steve

foakes

Hi Dave --

When looking around for other things out in the storage container this morning -- came across a couple of lugs of rod handles and material.  Found a couple of Fenwick brown grips that are nearly impossible to compress more than slightly.

Some have a 1/4" ID through hole -- however, found (2) new ones about 12" long with very small ID's -- possibly 1/8" to 3/16".  They are Fenwicks, very hard, and new in the packages.

You are welcome to them if you think they might work.

N/C, for you, of course.

Let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Thanks Fred, but I think I need something harder than the hardest  rod handle foam.  Greatly appreciate the offer, though!

Steve:  I will keep my eyes open on finding a sample of divinicell. I expect the stuff would be plenty hard, but am wondering  about chemical and abrasion resistance.

-J